Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V runs hotter with new rad.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default V runs hotter with new rad.

So Ive had my V for a couple of months. When I bought it the stock rad didnt leak. Well I drive it like it should be and the high rpms started to make the stock rad leak.
I had to replace the HB so replacing the rad that had to come out anyways was a no brainer. I replaced it with a stock rad from rock auto. Car is stock so I saw no reason to spend $500 on the alrad. Well I replaced it and the car used to run at 195*-199*. And now its up at 208-112*.
I filled it with a gallon of straight dexcool and a little over a gallon of distilled. Figured with all the straight water I had been adding for weeks to top it off. It would work out to a good ratio. The only thing I didnt install was the flaps that were pinned to the side of the old rad as the broke tryi g to remove them. Is the reason of the higher temp going down the road?? The cold level is correct in the expansion tank.
I have a 180* thermostat on the way. .
Does anybody know the part number to replace the side flaps on the rad and the plastic pins to hold them on.
Could it be something else?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air in the system?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Teching In

I dont think so. Its been over a week. Many heat cycles and i filled slowly and kept adding when it drained down below fill level. I read theres no bleed screw like i have on my lt1.
So if there is air how do you bleed it out?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The center of the front steam tube that runs between the heads ties into rubber tubing that runs to the radiator. You can loosen that connection and run the engine until steam comes out. That should eliminate air in the system.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Darkman. Ill look into that.
Just pull one side from the head and let it get to operating temp? Then reconnect and shut down?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The flaps direct air through the rad. I left them out too, when i replaced my rad. While i did not experience an increase in temps, each car and build is different. Removing them could very well account it what is a small increase in running temp.

Last edited by DACTARI; 03-25-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Dactari. Yes it is only a small amount. Thats why I figured it may be the difference. 10-15* isnt much but i still dont like it being over 200*. I live in florida and its only been in the 60''s. so im worried about when its in the 90's and higher come agust.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tpagreenhornet
Darkman. Ill look into that.
Just pull one side from the head and let it get to operating temp? Then reconnect and shut down?
You can loosen one at the head, but I think you will find it easier to simply take off one of the small clamps that holds the rubing tubing to the T-connector on the radiator at the center.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you dont like it when it gets over 200*...then be ready when you are sitting in traffic and its at 225-235*. you can get it retuned to turn the fans on earlier (lower temp).
Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by I8URSVT
if you dont like it when it gets over 200*...then be ready when you are sitting in traffic and its at 225-235*. you can get it retuned to turn the fans on earlier (lower temp).
Funny you say that. Ive been keeping my eye on it driving. At hwy speeds running 80mph its been staying at 195-194. Any time i stop for a light itll get up about 210. I think the highest its ever got is about 220. i dont think i have air in the system but am gonna pull the steam hose at the "t" on the top of the rad this weekend just to make sure.
They messed up my order on my T stat and sent me a 160* when I ordered a 180*. Its my daily so I wanna have some kinda heat next winter in it. So Im waiting on a new t stat but wont do that til I get ready to order headers and MM. Then Ill get it all tuned at once.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you verified the fans are coming on/re-connected after the rad change ?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmargo
Have you verified the fans are coming on/re-connected after the rad change ?
Yup. popped the hood the other day when i got home. they seemed to be coming on and off with the a/c compressor cycling. I know the V's run hot. I guess Ill just keep an eye on the temp till I get the 180* stat in and get the fans tuned for it
Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I would look into fabbing up new side flaps for the radiator. These systems are highly optimized for cooling and a/c performance.

Would you take the brake duct tube out of the fascia and just let the air find its way to the brakes? No. Same goes for the cooling module.

You'll find that these flaps around the cooling module prevent a significant amount of hot engine air from re-circulating back through the radiator/condenser increasing performance of the system at idle, slow and high speeds.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Ive always kind of looked at things like this. If GM could have saved a penny per car by not putting something on it, then they would have deleted it.
The flaps broke and tore into a few pieces when I tried to pull them off the old rad.
Would anybody know any part numbers for the left and right side flaps?
Should I just call up to Lindsey or check rockauto?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Forget the flaps, man, the benefit is marginal at best. Like I said, it didn't make a difference for me. There are so many variables at play-- it could be a manufacturing difference in the radiator, your coolant may be too rich, te weather is different etc.

IMHO, play with your water:coolant ratio (more water), and see what happens. If you're still running hotter than you'd like, go with the 160 stat.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars run hot, it's just the way they are. I have a brand-new 180* thermostat, ALRADCO radiator and live in Utah (aka, it's still pretty cool here) and my car reaches 220-ish pretty regularly around town. The fans kick on and the whole thing cools off, even idling, in a couple minutes.

FWIW, operating temperature on these is somewhere above 215?

If it's concerning, you can always do like a 70-30 Water/Dex mix, and make sure your air is bled out. Beyond that, tuning your fans to come on earlier and getting a cooler t-stat should keep the overall temps lower.

Oh, and when your new radiator breaks, just get an ALRADCO.

Quick Reply: V runs hotter with new rad.