Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

advice for wheels tires rear width

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default advice for wheels tires rear width

Hey guys, I already asked this same question in the axle section but didnt get much of a response. I have been searching all over here and other places but just want advice before I drop the kind of cash I am about to spend. Basically I am wanting to replace my rearend with a 9 inch and am wondering if I should go back with stock width or should I narrow it up a bit to run less back spacing. My plan is to also put on a set of 275-60-15 Mickey Thompson DR. I am also unsure if I should go with 8" or 10" wheels. Please give me your opinions.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you ever had either the desire, or worse case, the NEED to run stock sized wheels/tires on the rear of the car, having a stock width rear axle would make it easier, in my opinion.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Teching In

I too am saving to do this. From what I have seen and read it all boils down to what look you like. If you like a deep dish wheel like drag cars have then you would go with a rear narrowed a few inches. If you like the stock appearance then the stock width rear is fine. There are plenty of wheels for either choice. I am going with a rear narrowed 2.5 inches per side, a 15 x 10 wheel with a 5.5 inch backspace and a 30 x 10 inch tire. As far as what rim width to use check the MT website. Good luck !!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

I decided to keep the stock width. I really hate to have to trowdown the price of a new rearend and a set of wheels and tires. I went with a 9'' from quickperformance and a 3rd member from a guy on ebay who sells rebuilt nascar units. Hope to get it all next week and installed in a month or so.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by abritton77
I decided to keep the stock width. I really hate to have to trowdown the price of a new rearend and a set of wheels and tires. I went with a 9'' from quickperformance and a 3rd member from a guy on ebay who sells rebuilt nascar units. Hope to get it all next week and installed in a month or so.
This is the plan i have come up with as well.

Quick Reply: advice for wheels tires rear width