Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

lq9 or ls1

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq9 or ls1

My ls1 took a **** on #7 piston the rings and prob a piston and Ive been wanting to do a turbo build, nothing to radical, okay maybe a bit i have many things to decide on .

1. Should I stay with the LS1 block or go with a LQ9 for strength and ci purposes?
2. Forging all good crank good rods and Pistons How much power can i reach but not sacrifice drivability will have a good tuner?
3. is a pt88 to much turbo for a street/strip build and if so, what is a good turbo i wanna make like ....800hp no joke.
4. whats a good flowing intake thats a ideal price not no hogans or marclla intake or nothing like that. somthing reasonable?
5. can i run my stock ignition or do i got to upgrade and use like a big stuff 3 or anything else?

any info will help when i start i plan to post a build thread. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Im still pretty new here so take what i say with a grain of salt, but it seams like a lot of people jump to the iron blocks a little early. i would think an alu ls1 block would be able to take whatever a street car can throw at it, but with the low cost of the LQ motors it might be worth it to just go with the iron block in-case you want more power later on. The extra displacement of the 6.0 will help with power out of boost but i wouldnt expect it to help spool the turbo that much faster.

as far as the turbo i'm not sure you need an 88mm, assuming you meant rwhp and not crank a T6 BorgWarner S480 turbo should do the job. if you meant 800 crank then i would step down to the T4 series just to help make the car a little more responsive on the street.

making the car reliable and streetible shouldn't be too much of an issue with a decent tune, finding traction might be a different story lol.

again this was just a noobs $0.02, hopefully some others can jump in and give a little more specifics for your setup. one thing i didnt see though was what fuel you planned on running? also if you plan on running pump gas do you want the 800hp on 93 oct or are you looking to have the setup peak at 800 on race gas at the track and just run pump whenever driving on the street?

good luck with the build. it sounds similar to the one im planning.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. If you can get a good price on an lq9 go for it. the ls motor would do great too, but if you can get more money for it sell it for the iron block
2. stock crank is strong but do forged rods/pistons
3. a pt88 would work great, but a pt7675 is smaller, spools quicker and makes great power too especially since you are looking at 800whp
4. ls6 intake and put the money you saved towards a better fuel system
5. stock ignition works great. again use money elsewhere.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not sure what you call fast but my Chevelle is not just a street car but my daily driver. I have 7 kids and everyday, sun, rain, snow, I drive 3 of my kids to and from school. I have lightened it some but with a full interior, sound system, and cage it still weighs 3680lbs with me in it.

With that said, I have recently ran 6.07 @113mph and had a best mph of 115.92mph on only 10lbs of boost. This is with a LQ4, an XER273 cam, patriot gold springs, junk 862 heads off my old 5.3, and LS2 timing chain, NO ARP rod bolts, and currently the stock head bolts. Edelbrock Pro Flo XT intake and twin ON3 chinese 70mm turbos, on factory pcm, low impedence injectors, and HPtuners on E85. The best part is the car sounds pretty subtle and averages around 20mpg's. It was 22 when I had a 5.3 in it. With the 6.0 I am at 18-20 depending how I drive it. Oh and the 6.0 was from a junk yard with a 170,000 miles on it.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

thats sweet i got a chevelle alsso 69 ss w 632 na its quick but just a race car ... i like the responces, a bit smaller turbo will be more responsive. gott that in my notes i got a ls6 intake but idk if that would be enough flow? it would be nice to use that to save some cash but that always ends up biting us in the ***. any how this is a good start thanks

Quick Reply: lq9 or ls1