Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 5.7 vette ls into a 66 chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 5.7 vette ls into a 66 chevelle

Well i've been prowling around for a few days and I think I'm finally ready to post, please be kind I'm no web master at all. I'm a SBC guy but I see the light and I know the modern stuff kicks ***. the info I'm missing in the a body swaps is the stuff like using a z bar and mechanical clutch, converting to a mechanical throttle body, what to use for affordable efi management since I do not have the original Vette computer and wiring harness. (I know about painless etc.) I have the engine mounts, headers and cam kinda figured out, it's just a bit confusing how to fuse the old with the new. oh and i'm also running a tko 600. thankyou for any knowledge and help.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going hydraulic because my frame rails are too narrow for headers and a mechanical linkage. My project is a Rambler American with 418" L-92 stroker, BBC scattershield, Fidenza aluminum flywheel, CTSV pilot bearing, Howe t/o bearing, SPEC clutch and a Jerico DR4. This has all been mocked up and fits perfectly. There would be no problem using a mechanical t/o bearing if I had the room...
Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

can go with a carb setup, but will still need an LS1 MSD unit to run the ignition, i would stick with a hydraulic clutch setup, easier to package and more reliable
Old 03-28-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I ripped out the Z bar crap and used the hydraulic setup on my 64. The hydraulic setup works so much smoother and is easier on the leg. Your cheapest route for the efi is to find a camaro ls1/manual trans harness and modify it to your needs if your are comfortable with electrical work. Otherwise you can find a vendor to make you a custom harness. The ECM can be found anywhere from $80-$100. It does not have to be from a corvette. You can then have it flashed to a ls1/t56 setup from a camaro and have the vats and so forth removed.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

An 01 vette would have had a 411 ecu. It can be used with cable or DBW TB with a TAC and pedal. Decide which you want. If you're staring from scratch the 99-02 f body cable TB harness and ecu (also 411) would be easiest.
I used the A body Z bar on my 72. A link on manual trans/Z bar or hydraulic.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls-motor.html

Quick Reply: 01 5.7 vette ls into a 66 chevelle