Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK Header Install Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK Header Install Feedback

I recently installed a set of BBK long tube headers, just thought I would post up my experience with the install. All I have to say is wow, these headers went in without any grief. I didn't need to disconnect the steering shaft, headers didn't even come close to the k-member, and there was no hitting the floor board or anything of that nature when driving. After removing both coil packs all bolts were accessible from top of the engine. Currently I'm running the SLP loudmouth cat-back which is a little raspy around 3,000 RPM. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a good sounding substitute for the loudmouth muffler? Or maybe a resonator after the loudmouth muffler? I love the way it sounds just don't care much for the rasp. Also, I'm running the included BBK Y-pipe which seems to be pretty good quality other than the fact of it being 2.5", but oh well.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to run the borla soon. I have the exact sane setup as you do. Bbk went in smooth!! I recommend them to anyone looking for headers.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

They sure did me and a buddy spent today putting them in. Probably took maybe 5 hours tops when we was actually working. I had thought about the Borla I had two XR-1 bullets but I sold the dang things like an idiot. Would you guys recommend a tune after putting these on? I also deleted the AIR and EGR. Maybe a mail-order by frost or PCM4less?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine went in super easy as well, I couldn't believe it. Expected it to be a big pain in the ***, was pleasantly surprised. After the swap I HAD to get rid of the Flowmaster catback... was just way too raspy and loud. Ended up going with a Magnaflow and am super happy with it. Virtually no drone when crusing, but when you get on it you know its there.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:53 AM
Teching In

I had them on my '98 Z28, install was easy, even though I was doing headers for the first time. The hardest part was getting the old manifolds and y-pipe out. Combined with Borla adjustable catback, there was an awful drone and rasp between 2-3K RPM.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, very smooth install! I didn't even have trouble getting the manifolds off, my car only has about 79,000 miles on it so rust wasn't at large. But it looks like just about all the catbacks available have a lot of rasp from the way you guys are talking. I'm kinda getting used to the rasp now though so maybe I'll just keep the LM-1. Now if I only get my old gas mileage back, time for a tune! Any suggestions on a tuner?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

Nice to hear you had a smooth install! I have the adjustable borla catback on mine but frankly, I keep the cutout open 24/7 lol I would look into an electric cutout, sounds f***ing awesome especially with lt headers!

And OP, as for the tune, I definitely recommend a dyno tune that will maximize your HP with the mods, but if there isn't anyone near you, check out some of the handheld tuners you can buy online to at least get your A/F ratio right
Old 04-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

I would look into getting a lm2 resonater should help with the rasp a bit it should be a direct swap as far as I know.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

LM2..... that is what I have on my setup. Very little rasp and drone
Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear the BBK's worked out well for you. I was in the same boat. I had the LM1 and after the header install I hated the sound. It lasted 3 days then I got a magnaflow muffler put on in its place. Been loving it ever since.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
Glad to hear the BBK's worked out well for you. I was in the same boat. I had the LM1 and after the header install I hated the sound. It lasted 3 days then I got a magnaflow muffler put on in its place. Been loving it ever since.
What type of Magnaflow muffler did you end up going with? I'm assuming probably a bullet?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Teching In

I just put on my BBK ceramic headers this weekend as well. The installation went alright and I love the sound of them with my Flowmaster system but a little raspy as well around 3000rpm. I'm pretty sure the passenger side header is hitting the floorpan where the collector and y-pipe connect. Des anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

I have a set of BBK's I have yet to put on, maybe this weekend. You guys that are running the LM1? Dit the BBK y-pipe fit the LM exhaust? I read on here that it's the same exact size, and had to be expanded.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

I just finished installing my BBk's. I wish ALL headers were this easy to install! I had way more trouble putting headers on my 69 C-10 than putting these on the Camaro. Nothing had to be removed except the old exhaust, the plug wires and the dipstick tube. They just fell into place! They tuck up under the car soooo nice that I can't see ground clearance being an issue. I did have to have the Y-pipe expanded to fit the catback (which I had to add a small piece of pipe to cuz it was too short). I haven't fired the car yet, cuz I'm sending the PCM to Frost for a tune right away. I also did the PCM re-pin cheat for the o2 sensors. (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...vette-o2s.html) This was my first header install in a 4th gen, and I am SOOO HAPPY that I searched around on here and found that the BBK's were an excellent header.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where are you guys ordering these from ?? best price ?
Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got mine from Jegs a few years ago, getting ready to sell them because Im going FI.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by emenny81
where are you guys ordering these from ?? best price ?
PM sent
Old 06-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Staging Lane

Summit racing has them reasonable I think around 450 for those with the ory included? Does anyone have any numbers with these what my gains will be? I am going to get these and a ls6 intake and try to port my throttle body.

Quick Reply: BBK Header Install Feedback