Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help deciphering OE dimmer schematic

Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help deciphering OE dimmer schematic

I'm really not good at electrical unless it's very basic. Can anyone help me out to decipher what each wire at the OE dimmer switch does? I am ASSuming of the 4 wires, one is a switched power feed in, one is ground, one is a power feed out for the IP lamps (which is the dimmable wire), and one is a power feed out to the map/dome light (non-dimmable).

Does the headlight switch feed the dimmer switch, or does the dimmer switch feed power to the headlight switch?

For what it's worth, I am trying to figure out which wires I'd need to use if I were to replace the OE dimmer switch with a different rheostat.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You are missing a bunch of information, which is on other schematics. The "A," "B," "C," and "D" triangles connect to those other drawings.

The colors of the wires are listed on the lines and the number before the color is the metric gauge in square mm: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/aw...uge-d_731.html

So the switch connector will have for wires connected to the four terminals:
A - Brown 18ga
B - Black 22ga
C - Grey 22ga
D - Dark Green 18ga

"A" is your power feed and is live only when the DRL's are on or the headlight switch has been turned. The DRL is wired to the ignition and will only be on when the car is on - but the headlight switch is live all the time.

The output of the dimming rheostat is terminal D, but... that rheostat has a separate integral switch built in to it that will turn on when the dimmer is moved to Max. When that integral switch is turned on, it connects B and C, which turn on the interior dome lights. (All that detail is on other pages.)
Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome, thank you!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help deciphering OE dimmer schematic