Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

vortech gears rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default vortech gears rebuild

Hey does anyone know who sells the gears for a vortech supercharger? I havent pulled the blower apart yet but im 99% sure the gears stripped.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Pretty sure you'll hit a dead end there.

Bearings and other small parts arent too bad to get hold of. But Vortech do not sell any parts to anyone, and gears will 99.9999% be a Vortech only part.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems like 928motorsportrs.com or maybe superchargerrebuilds.com did last time I looked but they were like 350 for each gear. May I ask how you stripped a gear?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To be honest im not sure how they stripped. I was doing some logging and tuning trying to get it dialed in. It gets pretty rich in the higher rpms. So I did a pull in 4th and it spun so much I feel it didnt get a good readding will all the peddling. So when I was tuning around I put it in 2nd and was doing a burn out to heat up the tires and the are kind of stumbled and I here a grinding noise. So when I pull over and pop the hood everthing look fine just the blower isnt making any noise and no air is coming from it. The belt is still on it.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:25 PM
9 Second Club

Really the only way a gear could/should fail, is if the bearings let go causing a misalignment with the gears meshing.

I'd say the unit would be considered scrap after that though, given potential repair costs.

Worth taking apart for sure, but I'd be looking for a replacement unit and maybe keeping any parts for spares.

or time to upgrade to a larger unit
Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its really bad. I didnt even open the case and I can tell its really bad. The impeller is all smashed up and it can move back and forth about a 1/8 inch. Im so sad
Old 03-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Launching!

How often should Vortech blowers talking V7 be serviced or wait for them to screw up.
cheers
Old 03-30-2013, 07:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a used v9 kit with unknown mileage and ran it for 40,000 miles daily driving it and didnt touch anything. if your bearings just broke without any warning Id say you have an oiling issue. The kind of bearings they use are angular thrust roller type bearings, they should start howling long before they just break allowing tooth misalignment and failure of a unit. Take the scroll or vollute off the back and inspect it a little more. You might just have a broken impeller thats causing the problem. Its very easy to remove the v-band clamp to inspect the impeller side without tearing the gear case apart if you dont feel comfortable doing a full teardown. Post back results...
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
I bought a used v9 kit with unknown mileage and ran it for 40,000 miles daily driving it and didnt touch anything. if your bearings just broke without any warning Id say you have an oiling issue. The kind of bearings they use are angular thrust roller type bearings, they should start howling long before they just break allowing tooth misalignment and failure of a unit. Take the scroll or vollute off the back and inspect it a little more. You might just have a broken impeller thats causing the problem. Its very easy to remove the v-band clamp to inspect the impeller side without tearing the gear case apart if you dont feel comfortable doing a full teardown. Post back results...
Ive looked a lot of photos of units taken apart. And Ive seen an awful lot of them NOT using angular contact bearings, including some big spec units like the V7 that have been rebuilt by so called rebuild companies.

it does look like in some cases, the lower spec'd units do at least use normal bearings for the low speed. Not sure about the high speed.

But my V7 certainly had angular contact from new, and still does today. So why some places are rebuilding them with cheap non angular contact baffles me.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Launching!

928motorsports were the guys that helped me out with my V-9. Both him and his wife seem like "good people" too. Spoke with both of them on the phone a couple of times when I rebuilt mine, I would recommend them for sure
Old 03-30-2013, 11:52 PM
8 Second Club

I have 2 broken Vortech's, both of them have useless impellars but the gears are fine.

I would like to get rid of them.

Quick Reply: vortech gears rebuild