Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni, BMR, Brakemotive Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Koni, BMR, Brakemotive Install

So, I've been doing a few things to the T/A over the last month; on and off and on the weekend (thanks work). I figured I'd do a pseudo write up / review of the parts. I don't take many pics while working, but here ya go.

Koni 4/4
Like any F-body owner, I wanted better handling, but due to my long tubes and catted y, I really didn't want to sacrifice much ground clearance so I went with Koni's on the lower perch up front and the heater hose mod out back (stock springs all around).

Rear
There was no way the 1/2" hose was going on these; so back to Napa where I got some 5/8" and it worked perfect.

Front
First off, I would like to congratulate Koni for the award of "worst instructions/manual in the history of anything ever produced". Now that that is out of the way, the removal of stock parts was pretty straight forward. I didn't have any of the rusted bolts and shock nuts that seem to plaque the northerners. I did make a mistake in buying a cheapo spring compressor from harbor freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/macpher...-set-3980.html) …complete ****, so I rented the standard spring compressor from Autozone which worked much better. (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=555557_0_0_)

I did order new Moog upper strut mounts for the ol peace of mind factor.

Impressions - I have the settings on the starter settings that BMR recommends. I haven't driven it much yet, but so far, it's much stiffer, and takes turns much better. More to follow on this...

Brakes
-Brakemotive rotors
-Hawk HPS pads
-Russell Brake Lines
I got on the Brakemotive rotor and pads deal about 2 years ago, and figured now would be a good time to get everything switched out. I didn't use the pads that came with the rotors; I opted for the well reviewed Hawk HPS pads. This project turned out to be a nightmare; no fault of the parts. Long story short, some powder coating problems prompted me to get new front calipers and I sprayed them with a Hi-temp semi-gloss black paint. (http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=112)
Fronts

Rear

Based on another thread here, I made this Motive brake bleeder look-a-like which works flawlessly as a one-man bleeder. I flushed the entire system with Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3/4

Stock and Russell Brake lines

Impressions - Stops on a dime now…..really nothing else to say, lol. Time will tell on the durability of the paint.

BMR Panhard Bar
Installations was straightforward. This thing is MUCH beefier than the twig-like stock piece.

Bump stops
My stockers were trashed, and brake fluid from the brake switch-out just disintegrated these things. I bought the jeep bump stops from amazon. They look like they belong on our cars.

Here is how she sat on stock suspension. Updated photos to follow after a detail.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work. I'm in the same boat where a simple install take a month due to no time to work on it. My konis are in and I'm close to finishing other things.... So anxious to see how it sits.

Anxious to see your final pics with the front at the lower perch position. Are you on stock springs or eibachs?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

All stock springs. The front doesn't look as low as I'd like. I think later on, I'll just install the BMR springs. They came free with the Koni's.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, I would like to congratulate Koni for the award of "worst instructions/manual in the history of anything ever produced".
YES.

I could not believe how terrible these things were. Egyptian hieroglyphics are more easily deciphered. If someone can take those instructions and translate them into human speak then post it, it would be a sticky tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Nice work. The Koni instructions are hilariously bad.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

now im curious to see the koni instructions lol

OP thanks for posting this thread as i might be doing some very similar mods soon.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:05 AM
TECH Regular

No prob folks. This is actually the first "how-to / tips" thread I made. I've learned so much from this site; it's only right that I give back a little bit. As I think of more things that pissed me off or helped me, I'll edit the OP.

BMR, if you're reading this, I think it would be a great idea for you guys to make your own F-body specific instructions for Koni's and include them with your sales. I read in other threads that you're doing record sales of these VERY high prices shocks. This would be a great way to say thanks to folks spending two weeks pay on a product you sell.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

So, I've gotten some seat time in the car, and it takes turns much better. I'm much more confident in it's handling ability. I did the lower perch up front and the hose mod in the back and the rear sits lower than the front (reverse rake). I also notice that it kind of wants to wander on the road a bit. I find myself having the make steering adjustments and always having to "control" the wheel. Now, you always control the wheel, but I know you guys know what I mean. Maybe the fact that it's higher up front is causing some of this?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Id get it aligned if it goes to the sides while driving. I forgot where i read some suspension parts can throw out the alignment.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

I got it aligned Friday as soon as I finished the install. These issues are post-alignment. I did notice that my lower a-arm bushings were dried and cracked up on the fronts. Maybe this is causing my issues...
Old 03-31-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by coppertone
first off, i would like to congratulate koni for the award of "worst instructions/manual in the history of anything ever produced".
++++3
Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Do you know what your alignment specs were?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coppertone

Based on another thread here, I made this Motive brake bleeder look-a-like which works flawlessly as a one-man bleeder. I flushed the entire system with Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3/4
Any chance you can point me to that thread? Tried searching, but I didn't find it.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...e-bleeder.html

There ya go.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

^ that is really neat, never thought of doing that.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

It worked really well. I can't even imagine having someone pump the brakes anymore. One man job, for about 1/5 of what the Motive bleeders cost.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Do you know what your alignment specs were?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

All stock springs. The front doesn't look as low as I'd like. I think later on, I'll just install the BMR springs. They came free with the Koni's.
I'd give it a week or so of driving to see if it settles down some more. I know when I've pulled the stock fronts off of my car and re-installed, it took a few days of casual driving to get back down to normal height.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool stuff man! I agree with you, Koni has what may be the worst instructions I've ever seen.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Looks about the same to me?

Quick Reply: Koni, BMR, Brakemotive Install