Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top

Whats up LS1 Tech, just thought I would post my build for those that are interested. My build started last Nov 12. Things were moving slow becuase my lack of time. After struggling for a while trying to install my 5.3 in to my engine bay, I decided to let the professionals do it. The Car Shop installed my engine and set the correct degree angle for the drive shaft and transmission. They fabricated a crossmember for my 4l60E tranny. I got my motormounts from Dirty Dingo (sliders), my accessories from Alper Motor sports, and my harness From BP automotive. Pics coming soon.
Right now I'm working on radiator fans, fuel pump, and installing the harness.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for pics!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Default Buick 5.3 build

Originally Posted by killer66
whats up ls1 tech, just thought i would post my build for those that are interested. My build started last nov 12. Things were moving slow becuase my lack of time. After struggling for a while trying to install my 5.3 in to my engine bay, i decided to let the professionals do it. The car shop installed my engine and set the correct degree angle for the drive shaft and transmission. They fabricated a crossmember for my 4l60e tranny. I got my motormounts from dirty dingo (sliders), my accessories from alper motor sports, and my harness from bp automotive. Pics coming soon.
Right now i'm working on radiator fans, fuel pump, and installing the harness.
LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top-100_1232.jpg As you can see this is my harness BP automotive used quality parts for this build.

LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top-100_1233.jpg

LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top-100_1234.jpg

LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top-100_1235.jpg
more to come

Last edited by Killer66; 03-30-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: update with photos
Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Default Harness update

Installed my harness today. Well mostly, it's not complete yet. I still have to connect the transmission and some other wires underneath. Here are some pics.
LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top-harness-installed.jpg Harness installed

LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top-fuse-block-location.jpg Location of fuse block and computer

LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top-what-called.jpg What is this part called?

Last edited by Killer66; 03-31-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: update pics
Old 04-01-2013, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Attachment 397297 What is this part called?[/QUOTE]

The sending unit in the picture is for oil pressure. Is that what you were asking about?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Default Oil sending unit

Yes it is... I was wondering what the difference is from that and the one I put on the side of my oil pan. Thanks for your response.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Default Update

I located some old pics of my block and found out how the steamtubes were routed and moded I used some plastic tubing that came from my 5.3. Used it for routing the PCV lines.

LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top-pcv.jpgThis photo is from the crankcase to the throttle body

LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top-crankcase.jpgThis is the other side, the hose fit over the quick disconnect fitting, I hope it holds.

LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top-crankcase2.jpgThis shot is the 90* rubber hose that I had laying around.

LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top-steam-vent.jpg This shot is the routing of the steam vent if you are using the 5.3 throttle. This is how it is routed on original intake manifold. The passenger side will go to a vent in the radiator hose or water pump.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think it would make any difference were you pick up the oil pressure at, wherever it is easier. I drilled the cover on the pan to add an old school gauge and left the factory one hooked to the pcm. I have not ran the engine yet.
As for the pvc I don’t have it routed yet, yours looks very clean, was that the way it was routed? What about a PVC valve? I was under the impression that one side was filtered air and one side was intake vacuum.
Attached Thumbnails LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top-dscf2106.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Killer66
Yes it is... I was wondering what the difference is from that and the one I put on the side of my oil pan. Thanks for your response.
The side of your oil pan is the oil level, that is unused in a stand alone application. The factory pressure sender can only be utilized if you are using a newer stock cluster or a set of aftermarket gauges that parse some of the parameters from the data stream.

Bill

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 04-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Default Pcv

Originally Posted by 67Skylark
I don't think it would make any difference were you pick up the oil pressure at, wherever it is easier. I drilled the cover on the pan to add an old school gauge and left the factory one hooked to the pcm. I have not ran the engine yet.
As for the pvc I don’t have it routed yet, yours looks very clean, was that the way it was routed? What about a PVC valve? I was under the impression that one side was filtered air and one side was intake vacuum.
I'm not 100 percent sure yet. My 5.3 intake had pcv valve located on the top of the intake manifold. So I'm thinking putting one inline would help. Some one has done it, at the time that I read it I didn't understand it. If I can find the pic I will post it. (5.3)

Last edited by Killer66; 04-02-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Default Oil sending unit

That is the same one I'm using.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Default Crank Case ventilation

Here are the pics of the 5.3 intake and crankcase routing. Can't upload the other pics will load later.

Attachment 397537

Attachment 397538

Attachment 397539
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Killer66
Here are the pics of the 5.3 intake and crankcase routing. Can't upload the other pics will load later.

Attachment 397537

Attachment 397538

Attachment 397539
Unable to see attachments, maybe try a different way?? Can anyone see them or is it just me?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

I Thik The Pics Are Too Large
Old 04-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Default Check engline light

Does anyone know how to install a check engine light on your conversion?
Or, what type of lights to use e.g. led or condescent type?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used a PSI Harness so no help on light problem, Sorry
As for the PVC
I think you will need to reroute the PVC, not sure if you need a PVC valve for the line runnung from your aft left valve cover, but for sure the one form the right fwd cover should no be run to intake vacum.

GM E-Rod instruction
"How to set up your PVC system:
There are three ports on the engine that make up the PCV system. There are two possible foul side ports. One or both of these ports should be connected to the intake manifold and be exposed to vacuum at idle. If you choose to use only one of these ports, and the other one is part of your
engine, make sure it is capped off. The ports on the engine are 1) Front port on the valley cover(LS3 only). 2) Left rear (driver side) valve cover. 3) Top center of the inlet manifold (LC9 only). The ports with silver tubes may look simple but, they should not be modified. The tubes have a small orifice within them that is used in place of a PCV valve of earlier designs.

There is one fresh air port which is on the front of the right (passenger side) valve cover. Again this is a silver tube that faces forward on the valve cover. This port should be connected to filtered clean air. This connection must be within the engines air cleaner system and must be between the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) and engine’s throttle body. The engine burns the air that
enters the PCV system so, if the fresh air port is prior to the MAF then, this air will enter the engine without being measured by the MAF and adverse engine operation may occur."
Old 04-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Default Pcv

I used a PSI Harness so no help on light problem, Sorry
As for the PVC
I think you will need to reroute the PVC, not sure if you need a PVC valve for the line runnung from your aft left valve cover, but for sure the one form the right fwd cover should no be run to intake vacum.

GM E-Rod instruction
"How to set up your PVC system:
There are three ports on the engine that make up the PCV system. There are two possible foul side ports. One or both of these ports should be connected to the intake manifold and be exposed to vacuum at idle. If you choose to use only one of these ports, and the other one is part of your
engine, make sure it is capped off. The ports on the engine are 1) Front port on the valley cover(LS3 only). 2) Left rear (driver side) valve cover. 3) Top center of the inlet manifold (LC9 only). The ports with silver tubes may look simple but, they should not be modified. The tubes have a small orifice within them that is used in place of a PCV valve of earlier designs.

There is one fresh air port which is on the front of the right (passenger side) valve cover. Again this is a silver tube that faces forward on the valve cover. This port should be connected to filtered clean air. This connection must be within the engines air cleaner system and must be between the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) and engine’s throttle body. The engine burns the air that
enters the PCV system so, if the fresh air port is prior to the MAF then, this air will enter the engine without being measured by the MAF and adverse engine operation may occur."
Ok thanks, I'll take a look at it.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Just Subscribed... any updates?

Quick Reply: LM7 into a 66 Buick LeSabre Hard Top