Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Got her done!

Old 03-31-2013, 02:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got her done!

Just finished changing out my slave cylinder on the goat tonight. Soooo much nicer shifts. Ran into a couple snags, like the previous owner being a smurfing idiot and WELDING the shift arm onto the GM RipShift instead of bolting it because that's apparently easier. So I had to remove the whole shifter instead of the arm. :cursin:

I had a buddy helping me. After a few times raising/lowering the trans jack and readjusting, we got it slid right in no problem. Went a lot easier than I was expecting. I did two trans swaps on a couple half ton Dodges and they were horrible.

The only thing that was a pain, surprisingly, was getting the pin out of the new slave's fitting (used an F-body slave). I got the pin out of the stocker easily. Spent a good hour smurfing around with the new one. We also finished late and my trans was empty and the only place open was Wally World, so I just got some Dex III and I'll use that till I can snag some Royal Purple.

I was soooooooo happy to actually feel what this car should shift like. Buttery smooth. I got my F-Body slave from Tick Performance and I also installed a Speedbleeder from Tick. Great products!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:58 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice! I always have trouble trying to get the connector for the slave to let go without getting 2 flat head drivers and pretty much tearing it up trying to move that sleeve down to where it will release.

You are fine with running Dexron III.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

I actually got it my first try. Got really lucky, haha.

Yeah, but I figured since I upgraded most of my other fluids, I'd go ahead and put RP in the trans while I was at it, but I'll probably just go another 20k then change it.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I always have trouble trying to get the connector for the slave to let go without getting 2 flat head drivers and pretty much tearing it up trying to move that sleeve down to where it will release.
Ugh, same thing for me. The little white collar is all chewed up from taking it off a few times. I need to fab a tool that can take that thing off easier.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

They sell a tool for like $3 at AutoZone for it. It's flat and slides over the clutch line and pushes that little white piece in to remove the line. I didn't use it, so I'm not sure exactly what it looks like/is called but I know it exists.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Metallifan
I actually got it my first try. Got really lucky, haha.

Yeah, but I figured since I upgraded most of my other fluids, I'd go ahead and put RP in the trans while I was at it, but I'll probably just go another 20k then change it.
I too was suprised @ how easy it came out? I thought to myself, a quick release trans line, who would have thunk?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got her done!