LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car bogged out and stalled at idle, Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car bogged out and stalled at idle, Any thoughts?

I have a 1997 trans am ws6 with 152XXXkm on it. Just put on Hooker headers and a Borla Cat back exhaust, other than that the car is all stock. The car ran perfect up until this moment. Could it just be that the air/fuel ratio needs to be tuned? any ideas would be a huge help as it has only happened once.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

Need some more info.

Was it idling fine, then died like you turned the key off or chugged slowly dropping in RPM's? Did it restart after it quit? Did it start right away or did it crank for several seconds before it lit back off. The symptoms are important.

But I'd bet it is fuel or spark LOL
Old 03-31-2013, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

my 99 did this once the symptoms were rpms dropping off while chugging slowly. Once it stopped I just restarted the car.I talked to a guy at work and ended up changing the PCV valve which was clogged and it was fine for a good month then started again but I stored the car before I could find out the problem so Ima follow this thread.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Burned plug wires , wiring,sensor or fuel issue.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Burned plug wires , wiring,sensor or fuel issue.
I'll check the plug wires tomorrow. Could it be the tune not done properly on the car? It was tuned before I bought it.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Teching In

The Car runs absolutely fine, i was sitting at the lights, and tapped the gas, the rpm went up to about 1200 then back down and it stalled out. You are right in saying it slowly chugged out over about 2 seconds i guess. I started it back up and it was perfectly fine. drives good again, sorry for the slow response. The car is completely stock besides the exhaust and is in pretty decent shape.

Last edited by Trans_AM_ws6; 04-02-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Trans_AM_ws6
The Car runs absolutely fine, i was sitting at the lights, and tapped the gas, the rpm went up to about 1200 then back down and it stalled out. You are right in saying it slowly chugged out over about 2 seconds i guess. I started it back up and it was perfectly fine. drives good again, sorry for the slow response. The car is completely stock besides the exhaust and is in pretty decent shape.

Same mine has a full exhaust with a cutout other then that drag radials and a tune. When It chugs out I can hit the gas and it will keep going but if I get stuck at a yield or something it just dies. Seems like we have the exact same problem lol.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Clean the throttle body and idle passage with the car is running. I'd run a whole can of throttle body cleaner thru it. If your feeling ambitious pull the whole TB off and clean it right. Tune up may be in order also, you may consider a new fuel filter while your at it. Sounds like it loaded up on you.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all your input! turns out the 91 octane that i was running was getting "watered down" those cheap @ss#0les. My car is running WAY better with V-power. Sorry for the late reply, my computer bit the dust a while back!

Quick Reply: Car bogged out and stalled at idle, Any thoughts?