General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Steering Question

My power steering is humming real bad. I topped the level off with more fluid but still making a real big humming noise while turning the wheel.

The fluid in the reservoir is a brownish color and resembles chocolate pudding. I'm thinking that I need to flush the whole thing, but I wanted some opinions on a possible fix if the flush doesn't work.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

It's possibile that the factory power steering cooler is cracked, and mixing coolant with PS fluid. If you do a search on this topic, you'll find many threads about this issue, how to flush the system and delete the cooler.

Here is one large thread on the topic:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Don't wait to long to change it its a pretty easy job
Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Yea I'll be changing it right away. I'll keep you guys updated. I appreciate the help so far. Car is gonna sit for a week while I take a quick trip to GA, then I'll work on it right when I get back
Old 04-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Man, if it's looking like some chocolate pudding it's definitely time for a change! I don't think I've ever seen power steering fluid I could describe like that xD
Old 04-26-2013, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
It's possibile that the factory power steering cooler is cracked, and mixing coolant with PS fluid.
This is why I dumped mine and put a stacked plate air to fluid cooler in it's place.

The ONLY advantage to the factory cooler is that it heats the p.s. fluid quicker in the cold weather, and when the car is first started at all times/weather conditions.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MeMz
Yea I'll be changing it right away. I'll keep you guys updated. I appreciate the help so far. Car is gonna sit for a week while I take a quick trip to GA, then I'll work on it right when I get back
Here ya go: flush it.....my write-up.....

And yes......this is the best time to spend $30-$40 and about 10 minutes to install an aftermarket PS fluid cooler.......IF you have the factory PS fluid cooler that is.....

Power Steering Fluid Flush:

You and 2 friends.

First thing.......take a plastic kitchen garbage bag and put it on top of the alternator and then tuck it down and around the alternator.....PS fluid kills alternators.

Jack up the front of the car and put it on jack stands so you can turn the wheels left and right.

Engine and fluids….COLD.

Remove the hose that attaches to the bottom of the reservoir. Immediately cap that port with a vacuum port type rubber cap so the fluid doesn't pour out. You can buy assorted cap kits at the auto parts store. Or you can use a 2 foot piece of 3/8" heater hose to quickly slip on the port and just point the other end up higher than the reservoir cap so none comes out. Tape it or clamp it in place.

The hose you just removed from the reservoir.......Point it down under the car into a drain pan. This is the hose either coming from the factory cooler (if you have one).....or its coming from the rack (if you do not have the factory cooler). Either way, doesn't matter.

Have a friend hold that hose into the pan and keep his thumb over the end and wait there. The entire flush is a matter of 2 minutes.

Have another friend with 4 new OPEN bottles of PS fluid ready to start dumping it into the reservoir.

REMOVE THE GARBAGE BAG.....BEFORE STARTING......

You get in the car and start the engine.

Your friend removes his finger from the hose end and lets the fluid shoot into the pan. As you turn the wheels FULL right and left have your friend pour new fluid into the reservoir as the level drops. It could drop fast so be ready to pour. Fluid will come shooting out of the hose into the pan.

As soon as the friend holding the hose sees clean new fluid coming out into the pan.............stop the engine.
(if the friend that is pouring fluid in ever sees the reservoir about to run dry because he cannot pour it in fast enough, simply have him tell you to shut the engine off. Top it off and start the engine again. Don't let it run dry.)

Put the hose back onto the reservoir, clamp it. Top it off with PS fluid.

Your done.

CHECK to see if during this project you spilled any power steering fluid onto or into the alternator. If you did, simply drench it with WD-40 or SeaFoam spray to clean it. Then rinse it real good with hose water. Go for a 10 minute drive, take a bottle of fluid with you in case you hear any noise you can pull over immediately and top it off. Then come back and check the level one more time. Its fine to take the cap off when its hot. Top off the fluid if needed.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Question