Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New hybrid--strong odor

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New hybrid--strong odor

I think I was a member when I owned a `95 Z28, but I'm back now with an `83 Malibu with a `95 Z28 engine and T56 transplant. (The engine and transmission are not out of my Z28.)

Anyway, I got the car back from the shop that completed the swap for me. It needs to go back because it's got some problems with the engine mapping--check engine light, rough running, etc.

But the reason I'm here is about the odor from the car. I'm garaging it and the odor from the car is nearly overpowering. I can best describe it as smelling like a combinationt of oil and gas, but it burns my eyes as well. The smell is persistent. Even if I air out the garage then close it up again, the smell remains, even after several days of sitting. I do not see any leaks. I backed it into the driveway yesterday and ran it for several minutes and looked under the car for leaks. I did not see any.

The swap did not include any of the emissions stuff so I'm wondering if that might be part of the problem. I _think_ every time the car has been garaged has been after a fill up. I'm at a loss as to what could be causing the persistent smell. My `95 Z28 never had a smell that I remember, certainly nothing as strong and persistent as i'm experiencing now. As far as I know there is nothing in the fuel system open to the air.

I surfed the web looking for similar complaints and did not find any exact matches. None were about persisten odors that i could tell. I did find at least one reference to "eye burning" and the thought was that was caused by a lean condition resulting in excess NO2. I haven't a clue about that.

Any ideas? Thanks for any ideas. I think the car will be a lot of fun if I can iron out the engine mapping and smell problems.

Quick Reply: New hybrid--strong odor