Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350 shifting problem. What parts are involved in 1-2 shift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH350 shifting problem. What parts are involved in 1-2 shift?

Alright so heres the backstory,

About a week and a half ago, the car did something really weird where I felt it shift into second (it shifts pretty hard) but it free revved. Then i shifted into 3rd no issue. Next time shifting into 2nd it was fine.

Well then it just kept doing that, not wanting to engage second. Eventually I wouldnt even feel the shift... going from 1-2 was just nothing. Heres the weird part, if I downshift into 2nd, then I have 2nd gear just fine. It just wont allow me to upshift into 2nd. Eventually being in 3rd gear, I could hear some sort of combo of scraping/whining noises.

Well I pulled out the trans Sunday and finally got around to taking it apart today. Bear with me, I've never taken apart a transmission before. But as far as I can tell, theres nothing wrong? There was metal shavings and a few little chunks of metal in the pan making me think i'd find something definitive. Unfortunately, everything visually looks fine. Clutches/steels look like they are in good shape, planetary gears, sunshell, all seem like in good shape.

What parts are involved in the 1-2 upshift?

The trans is a TH350 that I had purchased from Redneck Performance 4 years ago. Was the beefy Th350 build, reverse manual valvebody, upgraded sprag, shifts really hard and up until last week had been doing just fine.

I have pictures of the pieces from the trans if posting them helps
Old 04-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

It does also have a transbrake and I've used that a fair amount of times as well.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Teching In

im having.similar issues but.mine free wheels for a bout a second then slams second gear. ive yet to figure out the problem

Quick Reply: TH350 shifting problem. What parts are involved in 1-2 shift?