General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help identifying source of starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help identifying source of starting issues

Having intermittent starting issues not related to the VATS in my opinion. Car will crank but not turn over. Seems like the injector pulses are turned off. Also, I have a little red light on the dash that blinks that I believe to be part of an aftermarket alarm system of some kind that is definitely involved. I find no mention of any such system in the manual. Can anybody shed some 'light' so to speak on the topic?
Attached Thumbnails Help identifying source of starting issues-blinkingredlight.jpg  
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

That red LED on the top of the dash is a factory light, for the factory alarm.

As for the crank-but-no-start condition, have you checked fuel pressure during cranking? I see that you have aftermarket injectors, but no mention of a fuel pump. I would probably start there, especially if the pump is aftermarket or has a lot of miles on it.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Make sure fuel pump is priming with key on.

Check ign relay

Is security light staying on?

Could be ign switch
Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If this just started out of the blue and fuel pressure is good......The Crank Shaft Positon sensor might have failed. You will get no spark.

But it's still probably a security issue. Because Crank Shaft sensors usually give all kinds of problems for a few days first.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Teching In

Haven't tested the fuel pressure when this happens.Thought it was a VATS thing, modded that and it still persists. If it were the VATS issue, my understanding is that it would not crank at all - it would do nothing. I tested this by mis-wiring the mod (unintentionally) the first time and effectively doubling the resistance (key + the resistors) and it did not even crank.

I was not aware that these cars even came with factory alarms. The UM makes no mention of it. I have only owned this car for a little over a month and am in the process of 'un-*******' it one problem at a time.

I'm not sure the status of the fuel pump as far as whether it is stock or aftermarket but I need to find out.

It seems like if I don't use the key fob to lock the doors and unlock the door using the key, it doesn't seem to happen and the car starts right up. I also notice however, that the dash and exterior lights seem to blink between when I open the car and start it so I guess it's a reasonable assumption that the problem is indeed with the factory alarm. I did find a thread last night explaining the procedure to disable the factory alarm but I was half asleep when I read it. I will definitely be revisiting that thread at some point today.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Installed a VATS bypass module this weekend, the problem persists. Disabled the factory alarm via a procedure I found on here, the problem STILL persists.

Quick Reply: Help identifying source of starting issues