Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Hot rod flat black question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot rod flat black question

HELLO, I saw a AUDI A4 in Hot Rod Flat black Sunday. My question: It had a really nice "Sheen" in the paint. I want to do my camaro this color and looking for the right paint shop, so I'll know what questions to ask -how is that sheen effect achieved? Thanks in advance to all
Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The color you're talking about is not flat black, but actually satin black. The difference is flat is dull whereas satin has sheen, like you mentioned. If you go the paint route, make sure you have painter with experience doing satin finishes. It takes skill to pull a satin finish off. A better solution for you might be to wrap the car in satin black vinyl. More than likely the Audi you saw was actually vinyl, not paint.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got done putting my car in matte clear. If you can try to find a shop that carrys Sherwin Williams, they have a new product out called 1100727 matte clear. Its unlike any other ive ever sprayed, and is made to not blotch, or streak. Sprays perfect, i couldnt be happier with the end result. Just make sure if you are serious about going matte clear, you do understand that its hard to maintain. No getting around that.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

There are a couple options for satin clear. Used to be that you had to add a flattening agent to clear to get that effect. Made it a pain in the *** to match the finish and is temperamental in regards to humidity.

Another option is single stage. SEM has been making a hotrod black kit for years. There are other companies making them as well. I'll have to see what manufacturer I used. I just finished doing this. Here's the only picture I have so far.

Scratch that. Here's one after I sprayed from the doors back.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1320Chicken
There are a couple options for satin clear. Used to be that you had to add a flattening agent to clear to get that effect. Made it a pain in the *** to match the finish and is temperamental in regards to humidity.

Another option is single stage. SEM has been making a hotrod black kit for years. There are other companies making them as well. I'll have to see what manufacturer I used. I just finished doing this. Here's the only picture I have so far.
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/...ps73dab21f.jpg

Scratch that. Here's one after I sprayed from the doors back.
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2d7c1efa.jpg
YES! Very nice paint job! Can you PM me the particulars I.E. Paint manufacturer part number, any additional products to complete job.

Thank you p.s. are you going to pinstripe your car?

Originally Posted by Double-aught_Z/28
The color you're talking about is not flat black, but actually satin black. The difference is flat is dull whereas satin has sheen, like you mentioned. If you go the paint route, make sure you have painter with experience doing satin finishes. It takes skill to pull a satin finish off. A better solution for you might be to wrap the car in satin black vinyl. More than likely the Audi you saw was actually vinyl, not paint.
Vinyl? never heard of that, who would do it? where do you purchase the product? Is it cheaper than a Satin Black paint job?

Thank you
Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

3M makes vinyl wraps, and I have heard about people getting nice satin finishes out of plastidip with glossifier added to it.

Dipyourcar.com can kits for this. Wraps are something I would be less inclined to recommend as I think you have to have a bit more experience with it in order to install it and it look nice, but I honestly don't know as I have never worked with it.

I wouldn't paint your car to get a stain black look, a wrap or dipped car will give you the look your after and you can always remove it.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Double J
YES! Very nice paint job! Can you PM me the particulars I.E. Paint manufacturer part number, any additional products to complete job.

Thank you p.s. are you going to pinstripe your car?
I'll shoot you a pm this evening when I get home on it.

I have a set of gunmetal 30th Anniversary stripes to go on it soon.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:31 PM

The only problem with a matte or satin finish if there is any imperfections in the paint and they wet sand and buff it out its going to bring out the shine or if the people spray it on to wet it may not be the look your looking for just make sure to find the right shop to do it
Old 04-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonHarney
The only problem with a matte or satin finish if there is any imperfections in the paint and they wet sand and buff it out its going to bring out the shine or if the people spray it on to wet it may not be the look your looking for just make sure to find the right shop to do it
This is true. You polish a matte or satin color and you literally polish the matte/satin out of it and it becomes gloss.

Go with the Vinyl. A good job will be about 2-3k from what I've seen, which will be half (if not less) than a quality paint job would be. On top of that it's removable if you decide to go back, doesn't screw up your paint underneath, and will generally last about 3-5 years or more.

These are all vinyl wraps.

Hell, they even have chrome vinyl wraps. If they can wrap a car in vinyl and make it look like it's actually polished to a mirror finish...they can do a good satin black.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

You should try John Deere Blitz black. Its cheap and looks good.

Quick Reply: Hot rod flat black question