LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Another AFR 210 question

Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Another AFR 210 question

I have a set of AFR 210 eliminators that were set up for a Solid roller cam.

I'm doing away with the stud girdles and want to run my current 1.6 roller rockers with springs that will work for my GM847 cam.

NOW. I know that I'm going to have to buy shorter valves, new retainers, new locks, new seals, AND the springs... but i'm just not sure what diameter spring I can use and still be able to use the center bolt valve covers. The springs that came in them (1.55" OD) are WAY too big. What OD spring size should I be looking for?

any good direction?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not be changing valvesprings to fit valve covers, or basing spring choice on the OD. Best to find the proper spring for the cam, then modify/change other things as needed to let you run ther proper valvetrain.

Being a mild lobed 847 cam, there are ton's of springs that will work on it while still clearing centerbolt valve covers. Those springs on it are only so big because they were for a SR.

I know its not in the OP, and probably too late, but is there any reason you chose the 847? Don't know anything about your build since I don't see a sig(Cubes, computer, goals, etc), but that's a decent size HR with some pretty big heads and will want some RPM if its on a 350. A lower duration cam with more aggressive lobes may make similar power without the high RPM ceiling and better street manners, but that's something for a Pro who spec's cams to decide.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not really a choice per say...

It was the cam in the car when I bought it. It was a poorly put together 383 Stroker when i bought it, and the crank went eventually (cast eagle crap)

I rebuilt it with forged 4340 eagle stuff, h-beams, splayed to a 4 bolt, big oil pan, but decided at the time I couldnt afford heads or another cam. I actually dont mind the cam..... With the new heads it should really perform mid range and top end like it was designed to.

This year its heads, re-tuning rear end work, and some suspention.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I run a 1.550" spring and center bolt valve covers on my AFR's. I don't know if stock valve covers will fit, but my aftermarket covers required zero trimming. The only thing I had to do was remove the baffle that came with them. The baffle interfered with the shaft rockers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another AFR 210 question