PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Load Low RPM Ping But No Knock Retard

Old 04-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Load Low RPM Ping But No Knock Retard

I have some audible ping at low RPM's between 1200-1800 RPM and low load .16 - .36 g/cyl, but it is not showing up as knock retard. I have retarded the timing in those areas pretty significantly to around 20 degrees and it is better, but am still getting some audible ping (again nothing on knock sensors).

I doesn't seem to make sense to retard timing much more. Just wondering if others have experienced this. (LS1 Texas Speed 5.3 heads (10.95 to 1 compression), 93 Octane).
Old 04-03-2013, 02:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcwilbur
I have some audible ping at low RPM's between 1200-1800 RPM and low load .16 - .36 g/cyl, but it is not showing up as knock retard. I have retarded the timing in those areas pretty significantly to around 20 degrees and it is better, but am still getting some audible ping (again nothing on knock sensors).

I doesn't seem to make sense to retard timing much more. Just wondering if others have experienced this. (LS1 Texas Speed 5.3 heads (10.95 to 1 compression), 93 Octane).
whats your af there? is it still in closed loop ? what size cam?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
whats your af there? is it still in closed loop ? what size cam?
Yea. Still closed loop and controlling it pretty well to 14.63 (too bad I can't make it a little richer in those areas). Cam is a 224R with 114 LSA.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Teching In

May sound counter intuitive, but have you tried going the opposite direction? Low load / low rpm generally likes a good amount of advance (30+). However too retarded usually resualts in a miss as opposed to knock.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hardrvin
May sound counter intuitive, but have you tried going the opposite direction? Low load / low rpm generally likes a good amount of advance (30+). However too retarded usually resualts in a miss as opposed to knock.
Thanks. I will take a look. I suppose I can first create a log to see whether there is a misfire in any of the cylinders.

I will try going the other direction. I started with the stock timing at low end and when I heard the pinging retarded timing. It does seem coutner intuitive to increase timing as a result of the ping. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rcwilbur
Thanks. I will take a look. I suppose I can first create a log to see whether there is a misfire in any of the cylinders.

I will try going the other direction. I started with the stock timing at low end and when I heard the pinging retarded timing. It does seem coutner intuitive to increase timing as a result of the ping. Thanks for your help.
Didn't you alter the sensitivity from an earlier issue? If so I'd start there
Old 04-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by outkast6991
Didn't you alter the sensitivity from an earlier issue? If so I'd start there
Yea. I did. But the PCM never pulled any KR at original timing and original knock settings, but I could hear the ping then too.

I could restore the original knock sensor settings, but I'm sure I will just get the KR at WOT and still have pinging in 5th and 6th gear without any KR.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be carbon build up on the pistons?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you put any sealant on the rocker arm bolts after the head swap? Without it, oil will leak past the threads into the intake runners.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Could be carbon build up on the pistons?
Yea. I think it is probably carbon buildup. I used the LS1howto Guide to change the heads and cam. Great Guide and wouldn't have attempted it without those instructions. My piston tops looked a lot like the pictures in that guide and the thought of cleaning then crossed my mind, but then thought it must be just normal for an engine with 55k miles.

I've tried seafoam through the pcv inlet to the intake without much success. I did install a catch can and am surprised by the amount of oil it picks up.

I backed the timing off pretty significantly in the low rpm low load areas and the pinging is pretty much gone. I am new to working on engines. Just wondering if it going too in timing in those areas could be harmful. I don't feel any difference in performance.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MM98
Did you put any sealant on the rocker arm bolts after the head swap? Without it, oil will leak past the threads into the intake runners.
Yes. I put the red locktite on the threads. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low Load Low RPM Ping But No Knock Retard