Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Better handling for '05 GTO A4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Better handling for '05 GTO A4?

I'm trying to get ideas from GTO owners on how to improve the handling on the 2005 and 2006 GTO A4. What shocks, springs, suspension components, etc. does it take to make a '05-'06 GTO handle as good or even better than than the LS1 Camaro Z28/SS? I'm hoping in the near future i'll be in the market to get another car and maybe a GTO if I can't find a low mileage 2002 Camaro SS A4.
But if i go with a GTO i want the handling really really tight and stiff and i want the steering to respond instantly. SO please can GTO owners give me some ideas on what parts to get.
Thanks all.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock for stock they handle years better then a stock LS1 F-Body.

Check out Lovells for suspension products they seem to be the most popular choice they are from aussie but ship here pretty quick.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmurray87
Stock for stock they handle years better then a stock LS1 F-Body.

Check out Lovells for suspension products they seem to be the most popular choice they are from aussie but ship here pretty quick.
Gonna have to disagree here.

With the exception of an F-body being solid axle, and a little spooky over bumps in big corners, the GTO will not out handle an f-body stock for stock. F-body is a lighter car with better suspension geometry from the factory. And any stock GTO that you're going to buy has worn out radius rod and strut top bushings, which doesn't help matters

With some decent struts/springs, bushings and tires they handle pretty well, I'd recommend some good adjustable coil overs.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Pedders is an aussie suspension but has dealers here. Car handles great and has for several years as it was my 2nd real mod after I bought the car in 06.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pedders is the other brand I was thinking of they also are highly recommended from what I hear.

Originally Posted by GTOSE

With the exception of an F-body being solid axle, and a little spooky over bumps in big corners, the GTO will not out handle an f-body stock for stock. F-body is a lighter car with better suspension geometry from the factory. And any stock GTO that you're going to buy has worn out radius rod and strut top bushings, which doesn't help matters

With some decent struts/springs, bushings and tires they handle pretty well, I'd recommend some good adjustable coil overs.
Eh yeah I guess, I only can compare to my Z28 which had quite a bit of mileage on the stock suspension compared to my GTO which handles better. But no it doesn't handle as good as my Z did when I re did it's suspension. Yes these cars have a bad worn out quick suspension so should be replaced anyways. I should get on that soon myself.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for your input guys. I have to say that my '99 SS and my '02 SS both could
take an off ramp at 60 without the tires squealing. Yet my '02 WS6 handled like ****.
It had too much body roll in sharp corners. But a good set of stiffer shocks would have solved that. I still plan on getting another SS if i can find a low mileage one. If not a '05 or '06 GTO A4 is my next choice.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

Default GTO upgrades

I hear what you're saying. But in your opinion if i upgrade the whole GTO suspension will it handle as good as a Camaro SS. I love a tight car that can take a sharp turn without the rear coming around. I added the SLP Bilstein shocks to my '95 Z28 M6 and it handled like a slot car. I loved it. It would displace your kidneys on bumps but it was awesome. I plan on adding ported heads, EPS cam, headers, cat-back and a stall to the GTO to start.
Then maybe a Maggie, or D1SC later on. Do you think i can hit mid. 11's with head/cam on the GTO? Thanks!

Originally Posted by GTOSE

Old 04-07-2013, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

rear suspension on these car need improvement.

but theres parts available to make them better. BMR has a lot of good stuff available.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

BC Racing Coilovers Front (7K or 400lb springs)
G-Force Coilovers Rear (with 300lb springs)
BMR/Super Pro Steering Rack Bushing
Whiteline Front & Rear Adjustable Sway Bars(BHF14Z)(BHR50Z)
Whiteline Front & Rear HD Radius Rod Bushings (W82047)(W52906)
Whiteline Front Inner Control Arm Bushings (W51233)
Whiteline Front Strut Top Mounts (W41771)
Whiteline Rear Crossmember Mounts (N92350)
Whiteline Rear Control Arm Bushings (W61483)
Whiteline Rear Control Arm Bushings Camber Adjustable (W63109)
Whiteline Diff Insert (W92616)
Install with Front & Rear Cradle Alignment via local Pedders dealer.

I have everything except the coils. Fronts will be here Monday and I'm waiting to order the rears. We shall see how she does around some local racetracks. Kollar racing had the best prices on bushings while AutoAgenda had a good deal on the BC front coils (especially if you got the front strut mounts with them) and of course you can only order the G-force coils from G-force. I used to have an SC400 with poly bushings, custom Bilstein & Hypercoil coilovers, so it will be interesting to see how the two similar weighing cars compare.

On the GTO vs F-Body, it would depend on many factors. For instance, I doubt on a bumpy fast track like the Nurburgring an F-body could hang with a GTO unless the driver had ***** of steel, but around an oval....

Last edited by 409CISecondGen; 04-07-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BC coilovers, Lovell front radius rod bushings, and Lovell rear subframe bushings--you'll see a nice difference. Check out the Kollar Racing website.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Replace all rubber bushes and add Tein coil overs.

You will be amazed at the improvement.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dyno Junkie

Too bad they're 2700$ shipped. And not even a true coil-over-shock for the rears. You could get the KWs and the only thing you'd miss was the ability to add the EDFC option.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys for your post. As you all know when you stiffen a suspension it makes the car feel a little lighter since the car reacts quickly to steering inputs. I keep referring to my '95 Z28. Even though it handled damn good when it was stock, but when i replaced the rear control arm it handled a lot better, but once i replaced the shocks if the SLP/Bilstein shocks the car felt like a race car. Yes you could feel every expansion joint and pot hole, but the car turned or could change lanes by barely moving the steering wheel...AND I LOVED IT. Thats what i would like to do with the GTO if i go that route.
On another note. Is it fair to say that a stock weight GTO A4 can run mid 11's or better with a set of AFR 210's, EPS 222/226 113 LSA cam, ARH 1 3/4" headers, cat-back, 3,600 stall, bolt ons, tuning? After seeing how well into the 10's a mostly stock weight GTO runs with the above mods but with a 1900 TVS Maggie or D1SC kit makes me really want to buy a GTO this time around. My only fear about the GTO is that i don;t know how fast the steering responds is. The SS with suspension mods has such tight and fast steering. I would like to hear from GTO owners what they think of how sporty the GTO's steering is. Sorry for all the questions...it's just that i know how awesome the Camaro SS/Z28's steering is really quick, especially after suspension mods.
So when it's time to buy i will look for a low mileage Camaro SS A4 first, then it's a tose up between a low mileage WS6 A4 (since i can fully mod it;s suspension) and a low mileage GTO A4 as long as i can get it to handle tight, make the steering super reactive. So to any GTO owners i appreciate what you think. Take care and thanks.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
Too bad they're 2700$ shipped. And not even a true coil-over-shock for the rears. You could get the KWs and the only thing you'd miss was the ability to add the EDFC option.

And after you have driven with them you will realise they are worth every cent of their high cost
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

It aint cheap, but the best return on my dollars I have invested in my GTO was the Pedders Track II suspension upgrade. It transforms your GTO from a boulevard cruiser to a car that is fun to drive in the twisties. With a Pedders track II, a set of sticky tires, a Harrop diff cover (keeps the back end planted) and a Pedders steering rack (out of production for the moment but rumored to be coming back, used ones are out there) my GTO handles much like a C6, but with a back seat. You can make your GTO handle, the options are out there.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Suspension was the first mod I did and will out handle what ever you have done to a camaro any day. I did the energy suspension master kit and what that didn't cover bushing wise I went with the pedders bushings. I also did there struts, shocks and springs with hotchkis sway bars. Car handles like a dream. I am ditching the rear pedders shock/spring setup for a set of gforce1320 coil over setup. He made a braket setup that move the coilover mounting point in and uses strange double adjustable coilovers. It's a little more expensive than the best pedders shocks/springs combo you can put back there but worth it.

Debating on swapping the front pedders struts/coils for a set of BC coilovers for the front. Not only could the pedders setup I have handle the corners real hard and feel like its on rails I was able to cut 1.7 60ft with bolt on only while running a best of 11.71 with that setup.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

And after you have driven with them you will realise they are worth every cent of their high cost
The rear shock and spring are still pointing in different directions. Properly valved and sprung coilovers will out handle the Teins any day because of the inherent weaknesses associated with the OEM rear spring and shock design. I'm sure Tein does a great job within the OEM design constraints, but some properly valved Bilsteins with the correct spring ratios using G-Force's mounting solution would take the cake and be cheaper.

Coming from a Lexus SC/Toyota Supra platform where I last had coilovers the Tein SS was middle of the range. It's hard to believe they would be worth nearly 3x what a tein SS kit costs on a Sc/Supra and not even be true coilovers.

Last edited by 409CISecondGen; 04-11-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Default coil overs

Appreciate it. I think i saw them for about $1,500.00 But if it makes the car handle that good, it sounds worth it to me.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
Oh they are $2700? It just have been another brand i saw for $1500. But still, if it improves the car that much then that sounds good.
Thanks.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Oh...just saw a 2006 Blue GTO today. It had aftermarket black rims that were wide as
hell. It looked amazing. That color would be my first choice, then black, then bright red.
I just hope if i find a blue one that it doesn't have the blue seat upgrade...

Quick Reply: Better handling for '05 GTO A4?