LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

153T flywheel clutch for T56

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 153T flywheel clutch for T56

I'm building a 1 piece rear main iron small block chevy (not an LT1) with a T56 for a 72 Skylark I have. I already screwed up by trying to use a 168T flywheel and clutch kit and clearly it does not fit. I'm going to pick up a 153T wheel and I'll need a clutch that fits it. Browsing the web I found that 153T wheels are standard for LT1 engines and the T56 I have came from a 97 Trans Am, so I searched for a 97 Trans Am clutch kit on summit and found this one

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/zzz-hp70043-1

My question is the clutch kit I have now is a Zoom ZZZ-HP5552-1A which also lists an 11" clutch disk. Neither show what diameter the pressure plate is or what size flywheel they'll fit. I need one for a 153T wheel and I don't want to order the wrong thing again. Am I on the right track?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Are you using a pull style clutch (stock lt1) or push style? If your using the hydraulic setup from the 97 t/a just use a clutch setup for the 97.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:24 PM

I believe its a pull style- whichever came factory in the 97 F-body clutch. I have not changed the hydraulics. Trying to determine if the HP70043-1 was a factory style setup with a more aggressive disc as both the incorrect clutch kit I have now and this one that came up under a search for 97 Trans Am clutch kit use the same diameter clutch.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

the link you have, and any other 94-97 LT1 "pull" clutch, will work for your set up using the hydraulics harvested from the donor car (94-97) F Body using a 153 tooth FW.

IMHO I am not a fan of kevlar disc material for street use. it can glaze with stop/go street use where you tend to slip the clutch alot.

If you are looking for something other than a parts store brand replacement clutch get a disc with organic on one side and ceramic puc on the other side. RAM, Centerforce, and others make them. Some people just buy an auto part store brand ($200 ish) and then the McLeod DF disc for $175. They all use the same "LT4" pressure plate which is a clone Valeo (china) made one. SPEC claims they modify their LT1 PP with more clamp force and offer 5-6 "stages" of disc material. the higher # stages being more aggressive friction disc material...which hold better but can chatter in stop/go street driving

it is important to TQ the PP bolts to 22 ft lbs ONLY on the LT1 clutch. The PP bolts are specific to LT1 so if you did not harvest from donor car ARP just started making them.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ******
the link you have, and any other 94-97 LT1 "pull" clutch, will work for your set up using the hydraulics harvested from the donor car (94-97) F Body using a 153 tooth FW.

IMHO I am not a fan of kevlar disc material for street use. it can glaze with stop/go street use where you tend to slip the clutch alot.

If you are looking for something other than a parts store brand replacement clutch get a disc with organic on one side and ceramic puc on the other side. RAM, Centerforce, and others make them. Some people just buy an auto part store brand ($200 ish) and then the McLeod DF disc for $175. They all use the same "LT4" pressure plate which is a clone Valeo (china) made one. SPEC claims they modify their LT1 PP with more clamp force and offer 5-6 "stages" of disc material. the higher # stages being more aggressive friction disc material...which hold better but can chatter in stop/go street driving

it is important to TQ the PP bolts to 22 ft lbs ONLY on the LT1 clutch. The PP bolts are specific to LT1 so if you did not harvest from donor car ARP just started making them.
excellent. thank you.

what makes the bolts different from regular bolts? low profile or thread pitch/diameter? I bought the transmission alone and do not have a donor car with PP bolts available to compare
Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sp00n
excellent. thank you.

what makes the bolts different from regular bolts? low profile or thread pitch/diameter? I bought the transmission alone and do not have a donor car with PP bolts available to compare
the bolts have a long shoulder AND a set depth threaded end. if you did not harvest them from the donor car, ARP just started making them. GM stopped making them years ago
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 153T flywheel clutch for T56