General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clunk coming from rear, driving me insane! Suggestions needed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk coming from rear, driving me insane! Suggestions needed!

I've got this clunk coming from something in the rear of my car and it's only gotten worse over the last 3 months or so. Now when I drive down the road at 30 or below and it's anything but a perfect road it'll "clunk" constantly. I've checked everything under the car several times and found nothing. I've replaced the trans mount with a stock replacement, new poly sway bar bushings, founders LCA's and panhard bar. I also have swapped rears to another 10 bolt thinking it might be inside the carrier with no luck. I'm pretty much down to rear shocks or tq arm mount that I can think of, I had the trans out last spring for a clutch and the tq arm mount seemed fine at that time. Any help or suggestions would be much appriciated as I am about at my wits end!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Oh and the car is a 01 SS. I've greased and sprayed white lithium grease on everything I could think of.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your spare tire and jack in the passenger side rear hatch area?
check for loose tail lights, broken/loose spoiler third brake light.
LCA's and panhard bar are tight enough and not rattling around?
Old 04-06-2013, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

I've taken the spare and jack out and just recently tinted my tails so they're freshly tightened. I haven't checked the spoiler/brake light closely though, i'll look into that. I tightened the hell out of the lca's and panhard bar but didn't tq them, anyone know the tq spec by chance?

Thanks for the suggestions, everything helps!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check the shocks, the bushings might be old or they could have come loose.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The over axle pipe could be hitting the PHB support if the passenger side rear exhaust hanger bushing is worn the slot open large causing excessive movement of the exhaust pipe.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:00 AM

I wish I had some more ideas for you, as mine is doing the same thing. I've gone to several mechanics to thoroughly check things over. We've narrowed it down the the custom exhaust that I have. There is barely 1/4 inch clearance at some locations, and hits the floorpan fairly easily.

Whatever you do find, please let us know.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2013, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

There is a custom bushing in a small exhaust hanger right by the tailpipe that has had me question it before, it has split and has movement and possibly even hitting the metal part of the hanger. It's a square mount about an inch around with a metal cage, I'll have to look closer into it cause while I was playing with it I couldn't get it to make that familiar noise.

Your suggestions made me think of this as it's been a while since I noticed that, thanks and i'll let you guys know if it's my noise.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

I pulled that mount and wiggled the exhaust and saw some evidence of it hitting the heat shield but nothing much so I bent that away. The mount had a crack in it so I cut a strip of rubber off and added it into the mount to take up the slack, it's very solid now. I also tightened the lca and panhard bar bolts as much as I could. I then drove it and immediately it made the old trusty noise. I then pulled back the interior and checked the shock mounts, passenger side was tight on both the threaded shaft and nut but the driver side moved pretty easily. The nut is tight as can be but the shaft still turns easily. Could this be my problem? Should that shaft turn easily?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd also check for shiny area on the passenger side axle tube, and the over-axle exhaust pipe where they might be contacting each other.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 04-07-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

I checked that area and it's clearing that ok. I have noticed that after what I did today it's now more of a constant low "rumble clunk" and it's not clunking when I hit a manhole or hard road joint. It's changed it characteristics for the better, i'm getting closer but the rumble is very annoying. Also when i'm going about 35 or faster it doesn't do it, it also seems to go away when I give it a little gas. Could that be the shock still? It just gets a little load on it and holds it in place?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

I just replaced the shocks and the sound is still there, I really sounds like it's mostly coming from the drivers side. What else could it be...?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Low differential fluid or needs posi additive. Cracked spider gears from NOS was my same symptom from previous car owner.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

I just swapped out the rear for another 10 bolt this past weekend since it had 3.73 gears so it's on fresh fluid and posi additive.

I spent the last hour "rebuilding" my tq arm mount with some extra sheet rubber cut into thin pieces. My idea was that if it was the tq arm this would at least take up some slop and i'd know it was a tq arm mount. Well I took it around the block and no change. I'm starting to have bad thoughts of trading it in cause i'm getting discouraged. lol
Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

I chased my tail with a similar symptom. Replaced panhard mounts, torque arm mount, trans mount... It was a screw in one of my tires

I'd look at the tires and make sure you dont have a screw or nail in one. The screw in mine was HUGE. So bad I could feel it in the steering wheel while driving. And with my head out the window I could hear it!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 PM

wouldn't that suck..
Old 04-13-2013, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

So after much searching and frusteration i've found it. I have Founders lca's with a poly/rod end setup and when I put the stock ones back in it's quiet as can be. The bolts appear to fit tight in it so I don't know what the issue was. All I know is that i'm not going to put them back in my car. lol
Old 04-13-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

The rear LCAs are probably the worst location for noise transfer, the rod-end are probably worn. I don't know what rod-ends Founders uses, but you want the best quality rod-end or you'll be replacing them really soon.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not sure what kind of rod end it is but they're only about 4 months old. I've learned my lesson on rod end anything though!

Quick Reply: Clunk coming from rear, driving me insane! Suggestions needed!