Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget Budget Budget..

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget Budget Budget..

As the title says I'm on a pretty strict budget. I'm hoping in the long run to have a mean street car, but for now I'm taking it one mod at a time. Anywhere I can save money I'm all for it. At the same time, who doesn't want the best for their car.

With that being said, I'm trying to work on the exhaust system right now. Ill be getting headers first, so my question is I know the pacesetters are a pretty good budget header but I've had my eye on the TSP 1 7/8 headers for a while now. Are they work the extra money or should I just go ahead and jump on this :

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/98-02-ls1-bbk-full-length-header-system-chrome-/

I REALLY want TSPs and their true dual system but if I can get a full exhaust from header on out for under $400 shipped then I'm all for it, if it makes good power.

What's the word on BBK users and people who have TSPs?

Basically are TSP's and duals worth the extra money? I want the best power and I know rasp can be terrible with ORYs but damn $400 is cheap.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Anything stainless will be good in the long run. I know pacesetters look good, but go stainless for the sake of your wallet and quality! True duals are definitely a cool mod but I went with an electric cutout right after the Y pipe that pretty much gives me more power than duals and they cost less. Do you want your car to be loud all the time?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

I can't say anything about BBK other than I've read people are pleased with them, and the price is right.

I had bought Pacesetters to begin with and then sold them to my buddy before I even installed them because I wanted the Stainless Steel TSP 1 7/8 headers. The quality of the the SS TSP 1 7/8 headers is amazing and you can absolutely not beat the price. They also come with a velocity spike. The passenger side slid right in. The driver side took a little more work, but once everything was said and done; the fitment was great.

If you don't want rasp; absolutely stay away from ORY setups. Unless you do a custom ORY with a Flowmaster Merge dual 3" inlet to single 4" outlet; you will have rasp. However, by going custom; it will get pricey. I would go with the TSP True Duals. They sound awesome!

Also, I would put new motor mounts in while you're doing headers. They are cheap insurance to make sure your new exhaust doesn't hit your floor board, and I'm sure your current ones are shot depending on how many miles you have on them.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

What's it going in?
After reading this, I picked up a pair of 02 Z06 manifolds for $40.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e_header_test/
Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

"Budget Budget Budget.."

Three words that should never be said when souping up one's car(s).
Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Im running the BBK chrome headers and they've lasted so far. no rust on the headers or y, just the normal purple/blue discoloring that usually happens. The BBK merge in the y is nice which im sure reduces rasp a little.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the kit you linked to is just the headers and y, so you'll still have to buy a catback.

I vote TSP as well. They're good.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

It all depends on which comes first to you, money or better parts. I personally have the chrome BBK LTs/ORY and couldn't be happier as far as fitment/quality, they've been on for almost 2 years and no rust, and I live in the Midwest so that's surprising around here. That being said, if you're planning on running a big cam and some really trick heads, the TSPs are more than worth it for the extra gains you'll have, and they're very quality pieces. The only reason that I'm running the BBKs over the TSPs is that they're on my DD/street car, so I'm not looking to squeeze every ounce of power possible out of my setup.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the bbks as well. GREAT for a budget and the fit ment is way better then a lot of other huh dollar headers.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the replies.

The car is a DD T/A, sooner or later I dream of this car being an impressive build, but for now I have to do what I can with minimum wage.

That being said Id get Kooks/ARH's if I had the money, like anyone else. I always prefer quality over price, I was just checking to see the word on the BBK's.

I'm really leaning toward saving a little longer and going with the TSP 1 7/8 and their TDs, just because knowing me I'd end up taking off a O/RY and getting duals anyways. Thanks for the feed back, I think in just going to buy the headers, save for the duals, and then get motor mounts and spark plugs and wires. Get it all done at once.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well damn. Adding it up a TSP duals set up would cost a bit over $1000. I don't mind the price, but now I'm thinking if I'm spending that much I should just get a torque coverter first.

What would y'all do, TSP headers and duals (along with plugs/wires) or a stall? I hear the torque concertor puts the biggest smile on your face. I'm trying to build this car right, and in the right order.

Last edited by DREAMZ28; 04-08-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got pacesetters and am very happy with them with minimal rust so far but I'm in CA. About 2 or 3 months after I purchased them, TSP released their 1 7/8 longtubes. If they would have been out at the time I would have definitely gone with TSP. Getting the TSP headers and saving up for true duals sounds like the right choice
Old 04-09-2013, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

You can pick up TSP true duals used for 300 or less. When I sell mine i'll be looking to sell it for around that price. Only selling them because I'm going turbo. I LOVE the way the duals sound. As for longtubes you could go for the ebay ones. They work very well with the TSP true duals and are stainless! For 189 shipped. Thats a pretty damn good deal.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

OP, between doing the exhaust and the stall, I would honestly go with exhaust first, and save up to have the trans at least gone through, if not built up a bit when adding a stall converter. I don't know how many miles your car has on it, but adding a stall puts a lot more strain on the already (in stock form) weak 4L60E, much less one with some miles on it. I think you'll get plenty of enjoyment out of the exhaust (I sure have), and since you're on a budget, it would be a shame to bolt on a converter and have the trans go out a month later lol.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're on that tight of a budget then just go with eBay lt's, TSP y-pipe, and buy a dynomax/magnaflow/borla bullet and dump it after the y. The headers are $175, the y-pipes $150, and the bullets $40-$100 depending on which one you get. Don't forget your motor mounts either
Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys are right about the transmission. I'm in the middle of giving it a full tune up before I start modding it. Last owner did the headlight motor gear that only a f-body educated person would know to do so I'm hoping he maintained the car, hopefully the Trans is in decent shape. The car just rolled over 110k miles, so the Trans could probably use a rebuilding.

So onto the exhaust, the eBay headers. 189 shipped sounds nice, how's the quality compared to some of the more known headers? I'm on a budget but I'm not so desperate to mod the car that ill put anything on it you know.

And I'm really leaning towards TDs, you cant beat the sound and performance of them. And is hate to have some terrible rasp and drone. Something like that would probably cause me to redo the car later on, I'd rather do it the right way and not wish for anything different after all is said and done. The extra money is worth it IMO, plus ill save going with eBay headers, that's about a $300 savings right there.

So eBay headers, TSP TDs (used), NGK TR55 +MSD Wires, poly mounts. Sound like a good start to y'all?

Oh and the car has the blowmaster catback on it now, how much do you think those go for used?

As always thanks for the help, glad I got an f-body just because this forum is so helpful lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To the guy above saying your ORY with a cutout makes more power than duals- BULLSHIT. Don't post misinformation.

OP, pacesetters work fine, and true duals sound AWESOME... they're a tad loud, though.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by roninsonic
To the guy above saying your ORY with a cutout makes more power than duals- BULLSHIT. Don't post misinformation.

OP, pacesetters work fine, and true duals sound AWESOME... they're a tad loud, though.
Not misinformation depending where he has the cutouts, if he has them right after the headers then yes it will make more power, don't be so quick to jump down someone's throat.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DREAMZ28
You guys are right about the transmission. I'm in the middle of giving it a full tune up before I start modding it. Last owner did the headlight motor gear that only a f-body educated person would know to do so I'm hoping he maintained the car, hopefully the Trans is in decent shape. The car just rolled over 110k miles, so the Trans could probably use a rebuilding.

So onto the exhaust, the eBay headers. 189 shipped sounds nice, how's the quality compared to some of the more known headers? I'm on a budget but I'm not so desperate to mod the car that ill put anything on it you know.

And I'm really leaning towards TDs, you cant beat the sound and performance of them. And is hate to have some terrible rasp and drone. Something like that would probably cause me to redo the car later on, I'd rather do it the right way and not wish for anything different after all is said and done. The extra money is worth it IMO, plus ill save going with eBay headers, that's about a $300 savings right there.

So eBay headers, TSP TDs (used), NGK TR55 +MSD Wires, poly mounts. Sound like a good start to y'all?

Oh and the car has the blowmaster catback on it now, how much do you think those go for used?

As always thanks for the help, glad I got an f-body just because this forum is so helpful lol.
Thats a great plan. Ebay headers are absolutely fantastic for the price. If you're ever in the Silver Spring, MD area I'll let you hear my car. It sounds fantastic. It is loud (a very good loud, puts a smile on my face everytime I turn it on) and when cruising at highway speed its not bad at all.

Here's a video of a few different exhausts. Mine is at the end.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh that's your car in that video? I watched that vid a few days ago and it basically finalized my decision on TDs lol. You got a nice soundin car.

Quick Reply: Budget Budget Budget..