Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wilwood BBK vs Pads/Rotors/SS Lines/Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Wilwood BBK vs Pads/Rotors/SS Lines/Fluid

So I've read a ton about the stock brakes, the C5 upgrades, the Brembo SS/CTS-V upgrades, etc.

I'd like to improve the brakes performance against fade, improve modulation and feel, and improve the looks of the brakes.

I think I'm pretty much set against the C5 stuff or other OEM GM stuff. To me that seems like a waste. I'd get the same performance out of pads/fluid/etc.

So my question is, has anyone actually run the Wilwood SL6R/4R kits on these cars? Wilwood makes a SL6R front kit in both 13" and 14" and a SL4R 13" kit for the rear. I know the SLR calipers aren't as beefy and wonderful as the W6A and W4A calipers or what Stoptech or Brembo make, but the Wilwoods are also much cheaper and can be had in a matching 4-wheel set. They also clear a lot more wheels, which is important because for now, I would like the option of clearing my stock WS6 wheels. I'd be doing the 13" SL6R Front and 13" SL4R rear which is just about what the front set of Brembos cost.

My question is this: does anyone have any experience with them? Are they worth the upgrade from pads/fluids/SS lines?

Do the 4-piston rear calipers cause horrible knock-back because of the solid axle?

I'd like to be able to run them in AutoX and some open track events as well as on the street. So to me, having a stiffer caliper with an improved rotor goes a long way.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Knock back happens because the c-clip design allows for slight in-out movement of the axle. If your caliper sliders don't let your caliper to move in-out with the same speed and freedom, the next thing with "cushion" makes up the difference.

That next thing is usually your brake pad and caliper piston, which push brake fluid back into your brake line. This results in a gap betwwen the rotor and the pad. Older rear disc designs were really bad about this (like the ones originally in my car). Newer cars, not so much, provided the sliders are well lubed. It can still happen, however. This why a lot of people get eliminators or Ford bolt-in axles.

The Ford axle approach will require modifying your housing, which I frankly wouldn't bother doing on a 7.5 inch 10-bolt. I'd get a 9" instead.

Last edited by 1981TA; 04-08-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Well I was thinking of running a Strange S60. I'll have to look and see if it gets rid of that. The other option is to just run the StopTech front kit and be done with it. Since I know these cars are biased to the rear... but I'd like a matching set since the car will be in shows too.

Edit: like all other aftermarket rears, the S60 is a c-clip eliminator. So that should make the Wilwood rear brakes work fine...

Last edited by JakeFusion; 04-08-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Actually just took a look at the Wilwood technical papers on the F-Body brakes. They require an aftermarket 12-bolt with the c-clips eliminated. I believe the S60 shares the same 12-bolt brake mounting, so the Wilwood kit would be a perfect match with the S60. I'll confirm tomorrow for anyone interested.

Overall, the Wilwood kit looks great.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Super Hulk Smash

One other question for folks who may have run this setup. Can I use the LS1 SS Brake Lines? I don't recall the length of the Russell SS lines I have, but Wilwood calls for a 14" and 12" kit f/r. Seems that might be a little longer than stock...
Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too was looking at this complete replacement kit and was about to order. Keep us updated as to what you find out.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Super Hulk Smash

The price is no different than the Kore3 C6Z06 brakes, but you can't use the Kore3 rear with a C-clip eliminator and you have to eliminate TCS. And to upgrade to 2-piece rotor on the Kore3 kit is a huge expense, so you end up saving a lot of weight with Wilwood out of the box. Plus, you can fit these under 17" wheels. 18s are fine and well for show, but if you want to go faster, lightweight 17s are the way to go with 13" brakes.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

So are you thinking the rear brake kit exclusively for the rear ends without c-clips and meant for fixed axles? That seems to make sense to me as well.

Wilwood claims there would be no issues anymore using their current rear brake kits with the factory rear end but I would hate to spend that kind of money to have issues with the braking system. They said they had complaints with maybe 3-5% of their sales with the old style.

I am very close to ordering 140-9830-R and 140-9833-R from WS6Store for my car. Justin quoted me a great price shipped for them along with a line lock and some other things. Just want to make sure I will be happy with it before I buy. Also replacing my front wheel bearings probably
Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
I am very close to ordering 140-9830-R and 140-9833-R from WS6Store for my car. Justin quoted me a great price shipped for them along with a line lock and some other things. Just want to make sure I will be happy with it before I buy. Also replacing my front wheel bearings probably
Lucky you on that one. I made an online order @ WS6store for a Ram adjustable clutch master cylinder, which started leaking on the second day of use. No worries, right? Not everything is perfect. But...I left a messge on their phone, and a couple emails, and a online "form" contact, and got no response. Needless to say, I don't buy from them any more.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Super Hulk Smash

That sucks. WS6Store has great service usually. And yeah, that's where I'm thinking of buying. The price is excellent there.

I think if you order it for the stock rear, you have to specify. But I think you have to use an aftermarket 12-bolt with c-clip eliminators. The Kore3 kit requires use of stock 10-bolt. If you have the c-clip eliminators, the Kore3 kit doesn't work from what I understand. These cars are a pain in the *** sometime.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Super Hulk Smash

One other thing I looked into today with the Wilwood kit would be if they'd clear something like TTIIs. I've often thought about going with something like the TTIIs for a little more bling and 315s on the rear, but have shied away due to their rep of not clearing any brakes bigger than the LS1 brakes.

Well, it looks like something in the area of a 10mm spacer would clear the Wilwoods, since they are actually 1-2mm narrower than C5 calipers. I'd have to get TTIIs on the car with the Wilwoods to verify how much of a spacer, but I found some pretty decent spacers from the Corvette shops in the 3/8" or 10mm range with ARP studs that come in around $100-170 depending on what you want (hubcentric with centering lips cost more). I certainly wouldn't feel bad about running high quality spacers with high-end ARP studs.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:45 PM
LS1TECH.com Sponsor

1981TA, i personally answer the sales voicemails, and emails, and I dont recall this, i've never left anyone hanging in the dust before, so I dont know what happened there, give me a buzz, and i'll be happy to swap out the master for a new one.. no problem at all

-Mike

Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6store.com
1981TA, i personally answer the sales voicemails, and emails, and I dont recall this, i've never left anyone hanging in the dust before, so I dont know what happened there, give me a buzz, and i'll be happy to swap out the master for a new one.. no problem at all

-Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. You are a credit to the LS1Tech site - I truly mean this. Unfortunately, I no longer have the part. The failure happened in late spring last year, and I've since spent some time trying to figure out why exactly the Ram master failed, because I didn't want to dig another one out at the race track. My diagnosis: side load caused by excessive angle of attachment to the petal. The Tick 4th Gen master that you sell does not appear to be affected by this issue and I strongly recommend folks with 4th Gens to go that route.

However, I've got a 2nd Gen, and I also needed to do some brake reworking. Last summer, I switched to a Wilwood clutch + manual brake master combo, and gave the old Ram part to a buddy who thought he could do something with it.

Last edited by 1981TA; 04-10-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unfortunately Wilwood does not have a template like some of the other manufacturers do (or maybe I just could not locate it) but they did have measurements on their site. It looks as if those part numbers I listed will clear American Racing TTM's but I wont be able to say 100% until I bolt them up in a month or so. Make sure that you order the stainless brake lines with your Wilwood kit because they are not included.

Just ordered my kits through Mike and looking forward to installing them along with my linelock in the near future! Mike took his time and did his best to confirm we had the proper parts for my application.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
Unfortunately Wilwood does not have a template like some of the other manufacturers do (or maybe I just could not locate it) but they did have measurements on their site. It looks as if those part numbers I listed will clear American Racing TTM's but I wont be able to say 100% until I bolt them up in a month or so. Make sure that you order the stainless brake lines with your Wilwood kit because they are not included.

Just ordered my kits through Mike and looking forward to installing them along with my linelock in the near future! Mike took his time and did his best to confirm we had the proper parts for my application.
That's awesome!

Yeah, the TTM looks like it would clear. And the template I found, is a very shitty template on Wilwood's site. It looks like it's 1-2mm narrower than the C5 caliper. I may do the TTMs since they would clear without a spacer. The stock wheels will clear, so I could just run them and some good tires on it and live with it for a while. I'd rather spend the money on the brakes than CCW or Fikse wheels...

And I'll be ordering from Mike the brakes and a bunch of other stuff coming up here soon. Mike - thanks for getting back to me on the Power Bastards alt. I'll give them a call. Also, do you have the Wilwood kits in red? I know it's an option, but don't see it on the site. I may just give you a call to walk through it when I'm ready to order.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

TTM's cleared with some room to spare but I would not go any larger (tape weights would be very close to the caliper with anything larger). Finished breaking in the pads and I am pleased thus far with the braking ability over the factory caliper/Hawk HPS/blank rotor setup. Looking forward to really putting the new brake setup through its paces in the near future at some track events.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Super Hulk Smash

That's good to hear. I just wish I liked the TTM more. I'd do that over the TT2.

Btw, did you have to use any spacers with the TTM?

Quick Reply: Wilwood BBK vs Pads/Rotors/SS Lines/Fluid