Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine will crank but not fire

Old 04-08-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine will crank but not fire

Hello, dont know if this belongs in this forum but if not a mod can move it. Im working on a 69 Camaro that has a Ls2 402. Trying to start the car for the first time but wont fire. The first time I tried to crank the car over it popped out the exhaust a couple times and that's it. Now I can crank it and it does absolutely nothing, just turns over.

Im using a 2000 firebird ECM along with a Speartech harness. I have a 24x reluctor along with the black crank sensor and a 1x cam gear. The car has a base SD tune using a 2.5 bar MAP that I got from Speed Inc just to fire the car up. Im have the Semeins EV6 High impedience 80lb injectors. There is 1 ground off the speartech harness and it is to the back head.

Here is what I know. I have fuel pressure to my regulator(65psi) and when I pulled a few plugs they still look brand new but are a little wet with no signs of ignition. I pulled a few spark plug boots and believe there is spark with a spark pencil. All the fuses look good in my harness. Im pretty sure it has air, fuel, and spark that's all the engine needs. Why wont it even ATTEMP to fire?

All I can think of is Speed inc did not remove VATS from the ECM when they did the tune. Is there something wrong with my crank sensor or cam sensor? Do I have a weak ground? Im using LS2 coils, are they not compatible with my harness?

The car does not try to fire at all, and that leads me to think I have a spark issue. Any help or other ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

if you have air fuel and spark like you said it should at least fire like you said. I would slowly go over ever bit of wiring first. Make sure everything is plugged in correctly and all the grounds are good. You have check to make sure you are getting power to the crank sensor and the cam sensor if you feel thats a problem. Ls2 coils i dont think would give you a problem but im not 100 % on that but i feel its not likely. you can check to see if you are getting power to the coils and to the injectors. Keep digging down from there. good luck man
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Before I installed the engine I purchased all new sensors except the cam sensor. It was installed on the front cover when I purchased it used. So the condition and origin of the sensor is unknown. I'm trying a new sensor for a 05-06 GTO when I get off work tonight.
Also when I plug in my scanner to check for any codes I get nothing. Does it need to start and run in order to throw a code?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

no its shouldnt need to start if its having a problem with a signal the cranking over should be enough to throw a code but weird **** happens all the time. Mixing the computer year and the motor year im not like to much for you right now tho ecpecially if the didnt flash it properly. It sucks you cant get your hands on a tech 2. That would be your best friend right now to see whats doing what. You would be able to test to makes sure the injestors are firing. You would be able to see if youa re getting readings to all your sensors and so on. You said you checked for spark at the wires correct?? You saw the coil igniting??
Old 04-10-2013, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, installed a new crank sensor today and still have the same issue. Had a local mobile auto repair guy stop by today with a scan tool. Im getting a cam sensor signal but no crank. The PCM sees no RPM and has no crank fault codes. I probed the harness from the female plug to the corresponding pins on the PCM harness and have continuity. Ideas?

Troy
Old 04-13-2013, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad computer? Does not sound like a VATS issue. It would fire for a moment and die. Check your grounds. Try replacing the crank sensor. Sometimes they are bad right out the box....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine will crank but not fire