New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob, First time owner lots of questions

Old 04-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob, First time owner lots of questions

Yes i have gone to the darkside. I have owned lots of mustangs in the past. I traded in my 2003 cobra for this car.

Well I just purchased a blue 2002 Z28 1LE 18k on the clock.

Here are a list of mods.

Yank 4400 RPM stall converter
Ported/polished heads
.600 lift cam
LS1 edit done by Sam Marsh
Hooker long tube headers
Underdrive crank pulley
MSD wires
Optima red top battery
Ported/polished throttle body
Intake lid with K&N air filter
Lanes true dual 3in exhaust with twister mufflers
Dr. Gas X pipe
Auburn locking rear end with 4:10 Richmond gears
Eibach 2 in. lowering springs
QA1 shocks
Drag bags in rear springs
Frame connectors
Baer Eradispeed rotors
18" Hitchcock Full House C5 wheels with 295/35/18 BFGoodrich G-Force tires in rear.

Anyone heard of these wheels? Looking to put a drag radial on it, put only bfg makes a drag radial in that size.

is there a list of free mods, or a list of known problems with these cars?

Also the drivers side mirror is wobble and wont stay in any postion, how do I fix this?

what can expect to run at the track? I know street tires are worthless. What big/little wheel tire combos fit these cars, I want to get some 15" drag radials on the rear with 17"/18" skinnys in the front for dd/going to the track.

anyhow. Im looking to make it as fast I can on motor. So let me know what the best h/c/i setup is for these cars. And tranny, rear end mods, fuel, ignition etc..

Thanks,
John
Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

these cars are known for sucking your bank account dry.check out a h/c combo form Texas speed or vengeance racing.some Texas Speed 225 cast heads with a torquer V# cam mite make 450 rwhp..get a fast intake from Texas speed .AFR,TFS,TSP PRC has good heads.Patrick-G and Martin do good custom cams for these engines.check the rear & gear section for a better rear end ideas.you can find HD rears used here in the used parts section for under $2000.whats your budget ?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Answers in bold

Originally Posted by 021le
Yes i have gone to the darkside. I have owned lots of mustangs in the past. I traded in my 2003 cobra for this car.

Well I just purchased a blue 2002 Z28 1LE 18k on the clock.

Here are a list of mods.

Yank 4400 RPM stall converter
Ported/polished heads
.600 lift cam
LS1 edit done by Sam Marsh
Hooker long tube headers
Underdrive crank pulley
MSD wires
Optima red top battery
Ported/polished throttle body
Intake lid with K&N air filter
Lanes true dual 3in exhaust with twister mufflers
Dr. Gas X pipe
Auburn locking rear end with 4:10 Richmond gears
Eibach 2 in. lowering springs
QA1 shocks
Drag bags in rear springs
Frame connectors
Baer Eradispeed rotors
18" Hitchcock Full House C5 wheels with 295/35/18 BFGoodrich G-Force tires in rear.

Anyone heard of these wheels? Looking to put a drag radial on it, put only bfg makes a drag radial in that size.

Never heard of them before but I saw the car you bought, they look like a fairly common design, but a nice one. Most people here run Toyo, BFG, Nitto, or MT radials

is there a list of free mods, or a list of known problems with these cars?

There are a couple free mods you can search for on here, but I never cared for them really. Most common problems will be window motors, specifically the passenger side, the hard to reach #8 spark plug, 01-02 models have weaker flexplates than 98-00 auto cars, DRL's stop working more frequently than most people like. Weak 10 bolt rear end is a problem, more common on manuals, 4L60E auto trans 3-4 clutch pack. That's it off the top of my head.

Also the drivers side mirror is wobble and wont stay in any postion, how do I fix this?

Not sure on this

what can expect to run at the track? I know street tires are worthless. What big/little wheel tire combos fit these cars, I want to get some 15" drag radials on the rear with 17"/18" skinnys in the front for dd/going to the track.

Since the car has a 4400 stall with ported heads and a cam I'd definitely say it's good for mid 11's

anyhow. Im looking to make it as fast I can on motor. So let me know what the best h/c/i setup is for these cars. And tranny, rear end mods, fuel, ignition etc..

H/C/I is pretty much personal choice, everybody is different. Since you already have H/C work done and an LS6 intake you're probably going to be happy for a while but you could upgrade to a FAST 92 or 102 intake manifold, you'll want new fuel injectors and probably fuel pump. Check out FLT and RPM for transmissions. That car is gonna suck down some MAJOR gas lol but it'll be a blast

Thanks,
John
Old 04-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

This sounds just like me i went from a s/c 2012 5.0 to my 02ss about a month ago. your car has a little more done then mine but that's pretty much the route im going.

Do you have any idea what your car makes like it sits.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Going from a 03 Cobra to an f-body is interesting
Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

probably couldn't out run the f body so he bought it
Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you could specifically find out more details on cam specs / heads that would be helpful. What did the car put down when it was tuned?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Launching!

Depends on your budget and what your trying to accomplish. You can find a set of used ls6 243 heads send them out to get port polished for a little over a grand. Advanced inductions do awesome head work. As far as cam swap how much power you trying to make? Fairly aggressive high lift cam like 233/239 cam would make a lot of power but boarder line street friendly, you can go a little less aggressive and still make good power with 223/231 mild cam with a good set of heads and intake/throttle body. I went with a fast 102mm intake and 92mm throttle body, fast fuel rails. And I am impressed and 1400$ well spend for the throttle response and power. Some people may disagree with the price but I'm impressed. Your 02SS already has an ls6 intake manifold. Those are good for 400+horse power with a four bolt conversation TB spacer and a 90mm throttle body. But as far as intake the FAST 102mm intake and a nick Williams throttle body for the win, you will be satisfied! If I'm not mistaking bf Goodrich makes a drag radial, personal I like the nitto 555r drag radials, I'm running 245/40 r17 and I can't break them 555r loose for ****. Your msd wires and ls1 coils are good enough, 4:10 gears are perfect set up too get you down the 1/4 mile in ten seconds with a build LS1(remember ain't no replacement for displacement those boosted baby 4.6L motors impressive power and all with there duel over head cams, but ain't got **** on a fully built natually asperated LS motor! )Racetronics fuel pump 42lb/hr injectors, fast intake/tb, good set of heads/cam swap like these from Texas-speed http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1161-pr...m-package.aspx . It will put you close too 500rwhp all motor and enough room for 8 pounds of boost on stock internals awesome choice switching over and welcome!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Launching!

Here dude read this give you a little insite! http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...y/viewall.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noob, First time owner lots of questions