Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Mixing TransGo HD2 & Sonnax Performance Pack parts

Old 04-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing TransGo HD2 & Sonnax Performance Pack parts

Greetings, all! I have read through MANY threads on this site and others for months to learn and prepare for my drivetrain upgrade, but I have one question that I have not been able to find an answer to:

I have the HD2 kit with modified TG separator plate, and the Sonnax Performance Pack. Both kits offer converter regulator valves and accumulator solutions and I am not nearly familiar enough with transmission hydraulics to make a decision as to which part to use that would would best support my application and goals.

Will the HD2 and Sonnax valves, springs, and modifications mix and support eachother?
1-2 accumulator: TG spring or Sonnax shim?
TCC converter regulator valve: TG or Sonnax? They are completely different valves. What is the difference? Plug PWM hole with TG valve?
I have read that the TG springs will not work for the Sonnax pinless pistons, but I have also read that some use TG spring with Sonnax 3-4 piston...?

The application is a '96 4L60E for drag racing in a 'cam only' class 400HP/TQ Camaro, with 10.5" 3200 stall, 7 RE 3-4 pack @ .03", 'Vette' 2nd servo.

I would think that the HD2 kit is designed to work best with all the included TG parts, but I have seen many prefer the Sonnax engineering, and I support that opinion. However I have also read that the Sonnax solution tends to be milder, yet I would not mind 'milder' if it still means I am quick.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited by MadMaro; 04-10-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Teching In

You will be much better off sticking with one kit, mixing the two is a recipe for trouble if you ask me.

The difference about the TCC regulator valve is that the Sonnax valve converts it to an ON/OFF lock-up but also keeps on regulating the pressure to the converter. Without that setup your converter when in lock-up will see full line pressure and that is very hard on the converter clutch piston.

I think you will be amazed at how short and consistent the shifts will be if you use our Performance Pack. There is more to good shift then just hard shifts and a good quality shift is easier on hard parts. But one thing i would do different is that I would use the Sonnax 2nd gear Super Hold servo kit instead of the corvette servo. There is a huge difference here in holding power. If you plan on working 4th gear real hard you might also want to go with the Sonnax 4th gear Super Hold dual servo assembly.

Hope this helps,

Robert Moreau
Technical Marketing Support Coordinator
Sonnax Industries, Inc.
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
rmm@sonnax.com
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 PM

There's a lot of truth to what Robert has posted above. However I have used the TG kit for many years and have also mixed in some Sonnax parts in with it. I guess what it comes down to is really knowing what you are mixing into the recipe. I had great success with the TG kit but also did not use it as a 100% drop in kit.

In past years while using the TG kit I would add from Sonnax the abuse plugs, over sized pressure regulator valve, boost valve and the HD 2-3 shift valve. These are areas that I felt their components would help tighten up the hydraulics and also add some other benefits to the units success. I would also add some other internal components of my own design or ones that would add to the strength of the unit to reduce hard part failures.

Currently I am using the Sonnax HP-4L60E-01 kit in my builds. However like anything else I do still use the 7-CS kit from TG for the input drum. I do stray from the directions slightly. As I stated earlier you need to understand what you are changing to make sure you have a successful build. The Sonnax kit as a drop in kit does work well and gets excellent reviews from what I have read and also from first hand experience.

Best of luck with the build. Vince
Old 04-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies guys, so much good info on here from people like you.

Since I do not understand the intricacies of transmission hydraulics and which part affects another, I suppose the best solution is to use the Sonnax kit per it's intructions. However I would like the manual shift ability that the HD2 kit offers, so I am guessing that I need to install the 1-2 shift valve, additional actuator spring, and replace the OE spring with the 'tight wound' PURPLE spring on the 3-2 downshift valve...

Additionally, I will install the TG ISO CONV valve, only because it says it will work even in a worn bore (mine seems to have some wear), and I would like to avoid over-boring the bore, and save the expense of the reamer and sleeve kit. I will just reduce the line pressure and take it easy in lock-up.

I am not interested in the 'Super' servos for the extravagant cost of them, and do not plan on much 4th gear action.

Last edited by MadMaro; 04-11-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by MadMaro

Since I do not understand the intricacies of transmission hydraulics and which part affects another, I suppose the best solution is to use the Sonnax kit per it's intructions. However I would like the manual shift ability that the HD2 kit offers, so I am guessing that I need to install the 1-2 shift valve, additional actuator valve, and maybe replace the OE spring with the 'tight wound' PURPLE spring on the valve next to the 3-2 downshift...

Additionally, I will install the TG ISO CONV valve, only because it says it will work even in a worn bore (mine seems to have some wear), and I would like to avoid over-boring the bore, and save the expense of the reamer and sleeve kit. I will just reduce the line pressure and take it easy in lock-up.

I am not interested in the 'Super' servos for the extravagant cost of them, and do not plan on much 4th gear action.
Yes you would need to use the 1-2 shift valve and the spring for the 3-2 downshift valve. I will warn you if your computer ever sends the trans into a limp mode condition do not place the shifter in manual low. With doing this its like having a cheap trans brake and you will hurt the low clutch. This is one of the cons against the TG kit IMO.

Personally I would use the sonnax valve for the TCC. Like Robert mentioned it will regulate the converter charge oil which the TG setup will not. Also I believe it helps save worn bores and remove the isolator valve from the equation.

HTH Vince
Old 04-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Teching In

I would prefer to use the Sonnax TCC regulator valve, but the instructions say that for a worn bore, it must be reamed to use the Sonnax sleeved kit. My bore is a little worn from what i can tell and if I use the valve that came with the Sonnax HP-4L60E-01 kit, I am afraid that I would have a hydraulic pressure leak to exhaust causing slippage and would result in having to rebuild the trans...

Last edited by MadMaro; 04-11-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Teching In

I don't see that my HD2-C kit replaces the 3-2 downshift spring.

I would prefer to use the Sonnax TCC regulator valve, but the instructions say that for a worn bore, it must be reamed to use the Sonnax sleeved kit. My bore is a little worn from what i can tell and if I use the valve that came with the Sonnax HP-4L60E-01 kit, I am afraid that I would have a hydraulic pressure leak to exhaust causing slippage and would result in having to rebuild the trans...
Unless you had a DTC P1870 I would not worry about the wear, those computers are fairly sensitive and will pick it up if it's hydraulically compromised.

Robert Moreau
Sonnax Industries, Inc.
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
rmm@sonnax.com
Old 04-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Since I do not understand the intricacies of transmission hydraulics and which part affects another, I suppose the best solution is to use the Sonnax kit per it's intructions. However I would like the manual shift ability that the HD2 kit offers, so I am guessing that I need to install the 1-2 shift valve, additional actuator spring, and maybe replace the OE spring with the 'tight wound' PURPLE spring on the valve next to the 3-2 downshift...

I am not familiar with the modification you mention to get the manual shift ability you mentioned, so I will let others comment about that. But the isolator valve bore wear I can address. It is not an issue with the valve that comes in the Sonnax Performance Kit, it's function is eliminated.

And you are right the Super Hold servos are expensive, it all depends on your needs, the faster you want to go the more expensive it is. If you think your band will survive with just a Corvette servo then save the extra expenses.

Robert Moreau
Sonnax Industries, Inc.
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
rmm@sonnax.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mixing TransGo HD2 & Sonnax Performance Pack parts