Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment issues

I just installed a bmr k member, im running the stock a arms, i finished putting it in with a new rack and pinion in as well. I went to the first alignment shop, and they tried and tried and tried to get everything squared up, they couldnt get the camber right nor the toe, which they ran out of threads on the tie rod and tie rod end to adjust the front of the tire in (im pretty sure thats toe in). The rack is centered, 1 1/4 turns to the left, 1 1/4 turns right, so i dont know what the deal is, i called bmr and the guy i spoke to said that you beed to adjust the inner tie rod, so i thought cool itll work, the more i look at these forums for " inner tie rods" all i get is people referring to the "TIE rod" as the inner tie rod, you can see how im confused and worried, the car is a salvage title, and i keep thinking maybe frame damage, the k member went in perfectly so i have a hard tome believing that. Any thoughts, ideas? Skip the preaching about buying a salvaged car...i already know
Old 04-12-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You have the wrong rack (for a different car).
Old 04-14-2013, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Something strange is going on. What are the before and after alignment measurements?

Tie-rod is often used when referring to either the inner tie-rod or tie-rod end (aka outer tie-rod). Depends who you talk to. Doesn't really matter what they call it, the inner is the only one that is adjustable.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, only the outer tie rod (the tie rod end) is adjustable... it inner tie rod is connected to the rack with a rotatable swivel joint and is not adjustable.

If you ran out of threads on the tie rod ends and still do not have zero toe then you have the wrong inner tie rods and/or the wrong rack.

What part number rack did you buy...?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by joecar
No, only the outer tie rod (the tie rod end) is adjustable... it inner tie rod is connected to the rack with a rotatable swivel joint and is not adjustable.
I would argue that the outer tierod is not adjustable since it's orientation to the knuckle is always the same, you loosen the jam nut, and rotate the inner tierod to adjust toe. You effectively change the length of the inner when you adjust it.

As far as adjusting it outside of doing typical alignment adjustments I have never heard of that.

Parts seem wrong though. A v6 rack will usually cause the column to sit closer to and possibly hit the exhaust manifold if that helps, I think you'd still be able to align it though. Did they make a bmr k-member, possibly intended for manual racks that could have been different?

Last edited by spy2520; 04-15-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by spy2520
I would argue that the outer tierod is not adjustable since it's orientation to the knuckle is always the same, you loosen the jam nut, and rotate the inner tierod to adjust toe. You effectively change the length of the inner when you adjust it.
Yes, you spin the inner tie rod, but the outer tie rod moves in/out.

inner:

outer:
Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is why the OP is confused.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Lol, I must admit we are saying the same thing, but disagree on what is moving. In my opinion the inner gets longer or shorter (effectively) , you say the outer moves in and out (effectively). That's what I call a heated agreement.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

lol...

Quick Reply: Alignment issues