General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

02 extension problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 extension problems!!

Ok drove my car in the rain today and now I'm on the side of the road with my ls1 missing. I forgot to tape upy rear o2 sensors when I put my headers in and they are dangling down and soaked. Is that my problem for the missing?

Last edited by jlincks; 04-18-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A rear O2 sensor should not cause a misfire in any condition, you should however get a tune to get rid of the rear 02 sensors in the pcm if you haven't already. I would check the basics first, plugs, wires, and work your way into it from there. If it is misfiring extremely bad ( flashing CEL) stop driving it and get it towed home.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:29 AM
Staging Lane

Did you go through a big puddle? JW if coil packs getting soaks could be an issue on these cars.
I know the opti sparks in the LT1's hated water...
Old 04-12-2013, 03:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be a good size puddle to get to the TOP of the engine. You would have more problems then coil packs.

You can wash an ls1 engine bay.

OP, need more details.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12
That would be a good size puddle to get to the TOP of the engine. You would have more problems then coil packs.

You can wash an ls1 engine bay.

OP, need more details.
Yeah I suppose so, it seems highly unlikely, but somehow the opti's in the LTs got water in them time to time and those are buried behind the water pump towards the upper part of the engine.

You should honestly check to make sure all of your coil pack connectors are tight and not corroded. Also check to make sure all of your plug wires at the coil and plug are tight and not loose. Moisture in the air adds resistance in circuits exposed to weather.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Engine was dry as a bone on top. Check the wires and all seemed tight. If I shut the car off and back on it would run great for about 2 minutes and then it would start missing and the ses light would flash. When it would do that I would pull over shut it off for a couple minutes and start it back up and all would be fine for a bit. Finally the car started running normal and I got home but went to drive it this morning and its missing again. When it would bog down I could mash the gas and it would pick back up but as soon as I let off it would bog.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the fuel pressure, plugs, wires, coils, ect...
Old 04-12-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jlincks
Engine was dry as a bone on top. Check the wires and all seemed tight. If I shut the car off and back on it would run great for about 2 minutes and then it would start missing and the ses light would flash. When it would do that I would pull over shut it off for a couple minutes and start it back up and all would be fine for a bit. Finally the car started running normal and I got home but went to drive it this morning and its missing again. When it would bog down I could mash the gas and it would pick back up but as soon as I let off it would bog.
Sounds like a sensor issue to me... Run the codes.

Try unplugging the MAF while it is acting up and see if that fixes the issue. If it helps, MAF is bad... If it continues, look elsewhere.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok went out started the car. started up great but then after a minute it started being sluggish again. pulled the sensor on the intake and the maf and the rpm's jumped up and started running good but after a minute it started being sluggish agian. Checked my plug wires and are all good. ???????????
Old 04-16-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

You said you just did headers, yes? Did any wiring come in contact with the headers? I had the exact same behavior you are describing when the wire that runs from the battery to the starter contacted the header and melted the insulation. When I drove it in the rain, the wire was shorting when the water hit the exposed wiring.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

When you check the MAF only unplug the MAF, nothing else...

Have you ran the codes?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

have not had time to get codes ran. hopefully going to get them done this weekend if i can get the car somewhere to do it. hopefully can get the car in the air to check if any wires are contacting the headers.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

got under the car today and found that the plastic protective tube around the o2 extension had got melted but the wires themselves were ok. So i unplugged the extension and started the car up and ran good but not as peppy as it was before the melting. So got back under the car, plugged the o2 extension back in and car ran like ****. Couldn't even get it out to the road it ran so ruff. So could the o2 being unplugged cause the car to not run quite as good as it did before?
Old 04-18-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes... Replace it and see what happens, sounds like your issue.

Quick Reply: 02 extension problems!!