Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 with MP112

Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 with MP112

Hi guys,
I have come across a deal on a used MP112 kit with cooler and I want to put it on a L33 5.3. This is going into a Camaro and I am going to run 1 3/4 long tubes with single 3" exhaust.
What would be the best supporting mods to get the most out of this combo? ie. head porting, cam etc.
What kind of wheel HP could be expected out of this combo?
This is a street car and needs to run on 91 octane gas.
Keep in mind I am at about 3400ft elevation.

Searched and could not find much as far as hard numbers goes.
Thanks for your help!
Old 04-14-2013, 02:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think a MP112 would work well on a 5.3. You really wouldn't have to cam it to make good power or port the heads, but if you wanted max effort everything you can get out of it you can do some things in those areas to make even more power.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. So say I only did a cam, what kind of power could I get with pump gas and no meth? Whith the right pulleys can the MP112 get close to 500WHP?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The MP112 is known to be limited but Your right there for 500.
I will start this with a statement: I am not an expert bye any stretch, I just have experience with my Maggie to offer :
Definitely get a cam. Search around or have one speced. PD blowers behave a little differently than others so you can cheat a little with the cam ie: lower lsa as compared to typical FI cams etc.. In addition, reduce your pulley to increase boost a bit, this gets a little tricky as belt slip & IATs become the gremlins that you will fight. Start off by noting the rear pulleys on the blower, are they 1:1 ratio (same size). The 112s that were designed for vettes came that way. They come from the factory spinning a little faster. By doing this you have a little more boost from stock but the real advantage is that you can live with a larger upper pulley which will reduce the opportunity for belt slip. What I am getting at is, in an effort to reach 500hp you will need about 7-8 lbs of boost while supporting cam & headers. To get there you may need a 2.9" pulley with the setup I mentioned above. i tried to attach a chart below, it will provide many pulley combinations and the rate at which they will spin the Maggie. Any lower on the that upper pulley size ... You will have belt slip. You can up the boost and avoid the cam but you will only find climbing AITs and possible belt slip as the boost goes past 8 lbs. thus limiting your ability to hit the elusive Maggie 500hp. I am by no means an expert, it's just that I have been through the mill with my MP112.
My opinion would be: make as much power you can NA ( being mindful of ne cam spec for FI) then add the blower to the mix. Keep your boost at a comfortable level of IATs and be happy with the outcome. To get there:
Blower cam
Headers
Heavy Duty tensioner
Experiment with pulley size

From what I've heard the 5.3 is a great platform for the Maggie. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 with MP112-image.jpg  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint E.
Thanks for the reply. So say I only did a cam, what kind of power could I get with pump gas and no meth? Whith the right pulleys can the MP112 get close to 500WHP?
I think with the 5.3 it is definitely possible. Things I would add to the post below is methanol injection if it's possible on a Maggie. I have a good idea for a cam on this one to help try and hit that 500 mark.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3 with MP112