Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

3 Wheel studs broke, how do I replace them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3 Wheel studs broke, how do I replace them?

I have one broke on the drivers front and 2 on the passengers rear..Im running 16" torque thrust II's on my 94 z28..is there a how too on replacing these some where? Tire shop wants $50 to do it and I think thats TOO much seeing how I have a nice heated garage with gobs of hand and air tools..just need some info on the best way to replace them..thanks...
Old 04-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Launching!

I've never done it but I imagine you press them out, I don't think they're threaded. Try a c clamp on it??
Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I usually just knock them out with a hammer. Done.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They are pressed in. You can take them out by either hammering them or pressing them out. I prefer pressing them out.

You can install new ones by pulling them in with lug nuts. Oil the stud, place 2 washers over the stud, and oil the washers. Tighten the lug nut in stages until the stud bottms out. I say in stages so you can inspect that it is going in properly and to reduce the heat build up.

If broke some I would reccomend replacing all the studs with a better than stock replacement.

FYI frequently studs break because they where not properly torqued when the wheels where mounted. With aluminum wheels the torque should be checked after 50 - 100 miles when the wheels are cold and then periodically after that.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got a nice tool from the matco tool truck that has a bearing in it made for pulling studs thru works great. Use it at work more than anything. But yes main cause of breakage is over torqed that i see any way. I think the tool is about $36
Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss performance
They are pressed in. You can take them out by either hammering them or pressing them out. I prefer pressing them out.

You can install new ones by pulling them in with lug nuts. Oil the stud, place 2 washers over the stud, and oil the washers. Tighten the lug nut in stages until the stud bottms out. I say in stages so you can inspect that it is going in properly and to reduce the heat build up.

If broke some I would reccomend replacing all the studs with a better than stock replacement.

FYI frequently studs break because they where not properly torqued when the wheels where mounted. With aluminum wheels the torque should be checked after 50 - 100 miles when the wheels are cold and then periodically after that.

agreed.. but i hammered mine out and used a couple old lug nuts and a air gun to press back in.. seems harder than it is..
Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a how-to video:

Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice video, the only thing I would add is to oil the spacers to reduce friction.

Just make sure you clean the oil when you are finished so it doesn't get on the brakes.

Quick Reply: 3 Wheel studs broke, how do I replace them?