Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hi from Washington!

Old 04-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi from Washington!

I'm happy to find this site and joined due to the wealth of information and experience here!
Thanks, everybody!
Aircraft mechanic by trade, I'm used to the old school SBC I grew up with from the 60's through early 80's. Reliable and simple as a hammer.

These 'new' GM V8's with all the electronic controls bewilder me a little so I need to learn a bit. I'm interested in any failure points or 'weak links' so to speak, like the old HEI pickup coils that would burn up at random. (My '85 305 with 248K has a spare dist. in the trunk for that) For me, reliability and longevity are major issues- followed by horsepower.

I recently bought a 96 9C1 caprice, knowing about the optispark issues... so I'm debating going to an LSx, LS1, LS-something mainly for reliability. And of course, it has water in the oil so... I might as well get better power in a better engine design than the LT1 too.

The ECM, BCM, PCM, and all are where I'm a bit fuzzy... not sure what I can get away with on the 9C1 as far as the original electronics are concerned. I'm optomistic about the availability of LS* engines available vs LT1's too.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome, hope this forum helps you out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hi from Washington!