Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Strobe light Kit

Old 04-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strobe light Kit

Does anyone have a video of strobes on a 98+ Camaro. I have seen several people with the kit and it looks pretty good. Also, where is a good place to buy the kit without breaking the bank?

Mike
Old 04-22-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.strobesnmore.com/

good stuff here. I have a set from my previous ride that I've been wanting to install in my Z
Old 04-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm I've been thinking about the idea of adding these for the 'cruize nights' come summer. A vette at super chevy had them and it looked pretty sweet coming down the street. He has the whelen kit.
Attached Thumbnails Strobe light Kit-13.jpg  
Old 04-22-2004, 11:34 PM
NKAWTG...N

a buddy of mine has them on his z06. police strobes (white only), hooked up to his alarm and to something else so he can just turn them on whenever he wants. it was really cool.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stoleit
a buddy of mine has them on his z06. police strobes (white only), hooked up to his alarm and to something else so he can just turn them on whenever he wants. it was really cool.
Yea if I decide to actually get them I plan to do the same thing. Of course white only .
Old 04-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Chop-Foo Director

I don't know, I saw some at a show a few weeks ago, and it looks
so out of place. I was expecting a honda or something, but saw
them on a camaro. My shock and dismay was great.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:55 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I've seen kits in the J.C. Whitney catalog. Don't know how cheap they are though....
Old 04-24-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

is this legal to drive with these on?
Old 04-24-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you crazy? Of course its illegal. I have a kit but never installed it
Old 04-24-2005, 03:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tudds
Are you crazy? Of course its illegal. I have a kit but never installed it
Actually, I've spoken with two police officers from the Harris County Precinct 4's office and both sold me they are totally legal.

Google search for "Texas statues" and you'll find the letter of the law one this.

In layman's terms, it breaks down to:
Only police, fire, ems can run BLUE or RED strobes.
Anyone can have strobes of any other color and use them anyway they like on private property. Anyone can turn said strobes on while parked on public property.
TECHNICALLY you can run those strobes while moving (i.e. tow trucks certainly run white and yellow's while moving on a regular basis), but there's a huge chance the officer will not know the letter of the law on this and you'll be ticketed heavily and have to debate it in court, or could possibly be arrested.

I had a the Whelen CSP690 6strobe hide-a-way strobes on my 2001 Sierra in the front DRL's, and in the rear back-up and amber turn signals. Loved the kit, heck of a lot of fun, envy of a lot of people.
Now I've got the '02 Tahoe Z71 and plan on putting in two Whelen CSP690's this summer.

If anyone has questions about installation feel free to shoot me an email: matt727 [at] houston [dot] rr [dot] com. I did the complete installation on my own last time and plan on doing it again. It's not too bad, although a knowledge of electronics is key.

-matt
Old 04-24-2005, 04:03 AM
9 Second Club

interesting
Old 04-24-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

hEY DDELALLATA, WHAT STROBE KIT DID U GET FOR UR CAR ON STROBESNMORE.COM?
Old 04-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

If anybody's interested, I know a guy who's trying to get rid of some and I can check how many/what price they'd be. Last I heard what he had left were the Whelen CSP690 power packs, with 6 stobe tubes, 6 bulbs, and all the wiring.

Post back and let me know if you're interested.

-Matt
Old 04-24-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pushtheextreme
If anybody's interested, I know a guy who's trying to get rid of some and I can check how many/what price they'd be. Last I heard what he had left were the Whelen CSP690 power packs, with 6 stobe tubes, 6 bulbs, and all the wiring.

Post back and let me know if you're interested.

-Matt
How much shipped to Los Angeles, CA. 90280? What color by the way?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by armkneez8
How much shipped to Los Angeles, CA. 90280? What color by the way?
Well, I don't have exact size/weight of the box, but a safe guess would be $10 insured to your door.

The strobe bulbs all come in white. A friend installed colored bulbs on his F250 and said they were more expensive and not worth it - aparently the color didn't show up very well.

With white bulbs, if you have them in headlights/backup lights the bulb itself (when turned offf) is almost impossible to see since they blend in so well with the housing. Also, when they are in amber turn signals or brake lights, they flash as red or yellow as a lightbar. In fact, according to the guy who had the colored bulbs, a white bulb in a red brakelight was MUCH more bright red and than a red bulb in a clear light.

Also, huge legalities involved in getting red or blue bulbs, and outside of those I don't know what other colors you would want.

-Matt
Old 04-24-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by armkneez8
hEY DDELALLATA, WHAT STROBE KIT DID U GET FOR UR CAR ON STROBESNMORE.COM?

Its a SuperPak kit that supports 6 heads but only comes with four bulbs and 4 20 foot wires. They have it on sale for 199.99 and I also got a rotary switch. I payed about 240 dlls for everything. It's in my garage right now. A kid at school offered me 125 dlls but he offered to pay me in payments. If someone here agrees to PayPal me the 125 dlls plus shipping charges I'd sell it.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ddelallata
Its a SuperPak kit that supports 6 heads but only comes with four bulbs and 4 20 foot wires. They have it on sale for 199.99 and I also got a rotary switch. I payed about 240 dlls for everything. It's in my garage right now. A kid at school offered me 125 dlls but he offered to pay me in payments. If someone here agrees to PayPal me the 125 dlls plus shipping charges I'd sell it.
Ddelallata: if you're talking about the SuperPak strobes here: http://strobeguy.safeshopper.com/18/1826.htm?949 then quick clarification, the strobe wires are the standard 15ft kind, and that unit does not really support having any more than 4 strobes.

Although you can plug in 6 heads, the industry standard for lighting is that each bulb is made to receive 15watts of energy - hence 4bulbs it comes with X 15watts/bulb = 60watts - what the unit is designed for.

If you really want to flash 6 strobe heads, and don't want them to be dim, then you should use a 90watt pack.

I'm guessing whoever sold you the power supply conveinently forgot to tell you that.

Last thought, because I know someone's goign to reply to this: note that I say the power pack CAN flash 6strobe bulbs, it's just it won't be very bright, as only 10watts will be allocated to each bulb, and frankly, that's only 2/3 the power of the industry standard or any strobes you'll see other people running. This is a very noticeable difference.

-Matt
Old 04-24-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

pushtheextreme, you are correct. I do have 2- 15 ft wires and 2-20 ft wires though. I had to buy longer wires to reach the taillights in my old pickup. Thanks for the headsup.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ddelallata
pushtheextreme, you are correct. I do have 2- 15 ft wires and 2-20 ft wires though. I had to buy longer wires to reach the taillights in my old pickup. Thanks for the headsup.
What brand are the 20ft wires? I've never heard of that length. Usually the jump beyond 15ft goes to 50ft or more. Did you buy it buy the spool?

-Matt
Old 04-24-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought it from strobesnmore. It might be 25ft. I really don't know man. I bought this stuff back in 2000 and I can't go outside to confirm right now. I'm really sick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strobe light Kit