Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Car runs like shit after hitting bumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car runs like **** after hitting bumps

Alright so I've made a post a while back about this but didnt want to bring it back up cause how long ago it was made. car: 1994 pontiac firebird 3.4l v6 completely stock.

Anyway, I had and still have this problem where almost every time I hit a bump going fast enough or maybe just drive over uneven pavement if there is construction the car runs like trash. The sound the exhaust makes almost sounds like a tractor, not that bad but just real rough sounding. Its like the car isnt getting enough gas almost, the car vibrates and shakes my dash a little and when im just sitting there I can feel like kind of moving up and down.

I have whole new exhaust because my catalytic converter pooped out in my other one, I have a new fuel pump that I need to replace because its bad from the manufacturer, but I didnt think that would be the problem because it was happening before I replaced the old one anyway.

When it happens the car loses a lot of power it seems like because the acceleration suffers, but its weird because I can put it in neutral no matter how fast im going and restart it and it will be fine again. It has been annoying me for a long *** time now and I don't know enough about cars to say well I should look for this or this, ya know? Anyway, if anyone can help me out it would be appreciated.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Something is loose. Thoroughly inspect components of the fuel and spark.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Restricted User

Bump Stops?

I know that wouldn't cause the vibration AFTER the bumps, but you may need yours replaced.

Is there a loud bang when you hit the bump or pot hole?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by eric_cspan
Bump Stops?

I know that wouldn't cause the vibration AFTER the bumps, but you may need yours replaced.

Is there a loud bang when you hit the bump or pot hole?
Doesn't seem to be, no.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by CopMagnet
Something is loose. Thoroughly inspect components of the fuel and spark.
Alright thanks, I'll look around.. wouldn't be the first time I would be finding thinking loose or disconnected.

Quick Reply: Car runs like shit after hitting bumps