Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Help: Loss of pressure after doing Pads and rotors.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: Loss of pressure after doing Pads and rotors.

So I bought EBC rotors and Hawk pads. I put them on earlier and everything went on fine. I didn't take the brake line off of the caliper. I did everything and got in the car and there is minimal brake pressure. It has pressure but goes all the way to the floor. I drove it down my road slowly and when I came back I noticed the front rotors had marks on it from the pads touching but the rears barely show anything from the pads. The caliper pistons moved in fine. I am at a loss and need to fix this problem fast. Any help would be great.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

You usually need to pump the pedal a few times for the pistons to come out. Doesn't take much though.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

What does your brake fluid reservior look like? Anything in there? You should probably flush the fluid or at least bleed it as common maintenance whenever changing pads/rotors. You don't have to normally.. but given your situation now with the pedal to the floor... I'd definitely start looking there.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

I've pumped the brake more then a few times same results. The fluid level is fine. I didn't disconnect any lines but maybe bleeding them is what it needs. Would they need to be bedded?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just for warm fuzzies, I'd bleed it completely with fresh fluid - it's probably due anyway. A Mighty-Vac will work wonders there.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:00 AM
Staging Lane

Check the color of your brake fluid. If it's anything but clear, you need to do a full system flush. Black = TERRIBLE.
If you still have issues even after bleeding like crazy and flushing the system, I recommend getting manual "line locks" that safely clamp over the rubber part of the lines. You can order them from NAPA very cheap.
When I run into pressure issues, I always block off all four lines with the manual line locks, then test the pedal pressure. I remove one at a time and take note of which wheel was the worst then inspect the entire line/bleed it continually until the problem is fixed.

Check for any rusted lines too, it is possible air is coming in somewhere but fluid is not getting out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help: Loss of pressure after doing Pads and rotors.