Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Upgraded T56 Mainshaft, Viper upgrade etc guys step in

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upgraded T56 Mainshaft, Viper upgrade etc guys step in

Guys,

I have a slight twist in the splines of my 2001 T56 MN12 Output shaft from my Z06. Seen a few feet back in pic below if you look closely

I have been told a good option to go with is the RPM hardened option with factory spline count...Not cheap but Heard 2 stories of cars that broke stock ones even with the trans brace and it ruined the diff costing them lots more that $588.

Have any of you done this or another option? I did hear a few stories of the hardened one breaking but it was suposed to be from a dif failure but who knows..

The Viper 31 spline etc option is nice but then you have to have your pinion reworked etc and mine was just recently rebuilt before I got the car and costs are adding up fast.

If I added it I would have stock trans plus:
Billet keys
Bronze Fork pads
Steel 3-4 fork
Hardened outputshaft

Dif hardened shaft
DTE brace
Upgraded dif clutches
ACT Clutch
Hinson trans mount
Factory Half-shafts for now

I would think this would work well for a street/strip C5 with my 600rwhp Procharged Z06 and have seen many of you with stock T56's holding up well.

Am I planning on 6k clutch dumps with slicks or DR's? No but I may do a track day or test n tune. I would like to have better piece of mind. I think at this point I'd rather pay the extra money and not really worry about it breaking and be good go should I add even more power later. Was really just seeing who had broken theirs and their experience with the hardened version or Viper upgrade.

-Pete
Old 04-15-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Jason from TDP do mine. It is in an f-body though. He did a 32 spline, which uses a th400 yoke, and I couldn't be happier. Car weighs about 3900 with me in it and I launch at 6000rpm 1.50 short times. Prolly has 100 passes on it this past year. Jason was great to deal with, a real stand up guy, stands behind his product and the price wasn't bad. I think it was about 1700 for the entire rebuild.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:16 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

G-force 9310 stock spline is an option. I'm not a fan of the spline cut under the reverse gear. OEM 30 spline is another choice but your diff needs changed. No long-term thoughts here.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off , all TREMEC outputs are hardened/ heat treated, so if there is more"hardening" being done , get the real factys. Heatreating causes distotion...requiring straghteneing.Also tempering if you don't want a brittle piece. If its cryo treatment they are selling .....to be effective, you need to have enough carbon in the steel to "convert". Simply treating the stock part is only going to yeild 5 -10% max... this assumes that the steps are done properly.
Your best bet is to go with a larger diameter shaft converting/ using a a later T56 shaft.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by calhoon
First off , all TREMEC outputs are hardened/ heat treated, so if there is more"hardening" being done , get the real factys. Heatreating causes distotion...requiring straghteneing.Also tempering if you don't want a brittle piece. If its cryo treatment they are selling .....to be effective, you need to have enough carbon in the steel to "convert". Simply treating the stock part is only going to yeild 5 -10% max... this assumes that the steps are done properly.
Your best bet is to go with a larger diameter shaft converting/ using a a later T56 shaft.

Do you know what material Tremec uses vs the 9310 G force piece?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I beleive SAE 8620 or SAE4615 DM( elevated moly content) / depending on the model. SAE9000 series would have a higher carbon content ( available for cryo treating) but tempering properly is critical to avoid brittle parts.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by calhoon
I beleive SAE 8620 or SAE4615 DM( elevated moly content) / depending on the model. SAE9000 series would have a higher carbon content ( available for cryo treating) but tempering properly is critical to avoid brittle parts.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Upgraded T56 Mainshaft, Viper upgrade etc guys step in