Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

2000 Trans Am Sagging door

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trans Am Sagging door

Anyone in the Houston metro area do this job and interested in helping someone with theirs?

I checked the fiberglass near lower hinge and i am not seeing any cracks or flex...

Also noticed my top and lower hinge are not welded on they are bolted? I have seen in this forum where others have said they are welded?

I feel I can do the job to rebuild my upper and lower hinges but have not had much luck on finding the right kits for this car. Question is what have you done and recommend?

Last but not least I am not seeing any play in hinges when i lift up on door whole car moves up and down but I am able to pull up on door to get it to latch on striker? Is there any room for adjustment / alignment on hinges?

Appreciate any help or ideas? I have used the search function and searched sagging doors and git some useful info just wanted to see if i can get some advice for my questions. Thanks for looking...

John
Old 04-18-2013, 04:54 AM
Teching In

I would just take it to a body shop. One near me fixed my saggy driver side door and swapped in a new regulator on the pass side for like 280 which to me seems pretty fair, worth a shot to get a quote anyway. It turned out the bracket that bolts / is welded to the body on the top side was where the play was, they welded in some steel behind it and the door closes perfect now.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:40 AM
Teching In

So I am impatient and ordered two hinge repair kits from two different distributors and still waiting on them to arrive.

Took the front fender liner off ( takes 5 minutes), took front fender off ( took 20 minutes), and it definitely made it easy to get to the upper hinge. Left the car door on and closed, marked the position of the hinge and pulled it off.

It had some play. What I did (I know it's temporary), is put the hinge in a vice and installed stainless wire between both areas between hinges. It tightened up all play in the hinge and open and closing the hinge gave it some tightness.

Reinstalled the hinge and everything works perfect. No sagging door and closes perfect.

Plan is to get a used hinge and rebuild it to have once my door kits get here.

Appreciate all the advice...

John
Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good idea. Stainless wire also works great for getting sheetmetal screws to grab again if the sheetmetal is stripped out.

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am Sagging door