Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Stick On Wheel Weights - Question in regards to Proper Balancing!!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stick On Wheel Weights - Question in regards to Proper Balancing!!

Hey guys! I had a buddy take his wheels to a wheel shop today for mounting and balancing.

When he picked up his wheels everything seemed fine till he got home and noticed that one had a wheel weight that looked damaged! Would this cause improper balancing and the wheel shop just used old wheel weights and said good enough???

Here's a pic:

Old 04-16-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A damaged wheel weight!!!! Take it back and complain!!! Jk it's fine. No worries
Old 04-16-2013, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not going to make a difference.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just cause its dented up doesnt change the weight of it. Its fine.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

yea a weight is a weight. no worries
Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys. I showed him the thread lol. I guess his main concern is it was $20 a rim for just balancing. So he is a bit ticked off that it looks like used wheel weights they used. He does keep the inner wheel clean at all times as the car rarely gets driven.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be thankful it is sticking...I've had a shop try to balance the wheels on my Viper, and they decided that sticking new wheel weights over the old adhesive would be a good idea. Two of the wheels had the weights fall off after washing them...I spent a few hours carefully removing the old adhesive, and resticking the weights right back where they were with better tape.

I won't ever use that place again, even if it was only for my daily beater. They claimed that they worked on Porsches and Ferraris all the time, so a Viper would be no problem
Old 04-17-2013, 03:01 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like they used a hammer to tap on the weight to get it to stick.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Just be thankful it is sticking...I've had a shop try to balance the wheels on my Viper, and they decided that sticking new wheel weights over the old adhesive would be a good idea. Two of the wheels had the weights fall off after washing them...I spent a few hours carefully removing the old adhesive, and resticking the weights right back where they were with better tape.

I won't ever use that place again, even if it was only for my daily beater. They claimed that they worked on Porsches and Ferraris all the time, so a Viper would be no problem
Removing old stick on weight adhesive it a major PITA, as you now know. Would you be willing to pay someone for their few hours of carefully removing it at $100/hour? Does a $300 tire balance sound reasonable?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:31 AM
92v
Teching In

If it only took 3/4 of an ounce to balance, I'd say they did a good job.
On my motorcycles I make a permanent mark on the bare wheels at the heavy spot. Then aline, or have the shop aline the light mark on the tire (the yellow dot) with the heavy mark on the wheel. I usually only need a very small amount of weight and fairly often no weight at all. I don't think that would happen on an auto wheel/tire often, but I wish I had a way to do that with my car wheels. Fewer weights are less to fall off and less adhesive to clean off when changing tires, which on sport bikes is every 2 - 5K miles so you get lots of practice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stick On Wheel Weights - Question in regards to Proper Balancing!!