Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ???????

I am going to be getting a Vig 3200 converter soon with a 2.5 STR, But here is my questions ONE: Should you have a shift kit? TWO: What trany cooler should I go with?

Thanks Dan
Old 04-22-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes, I had the Vig3200 installed w/o a shift kit or trans cooler before my current setup. THe car felt sloppy as hell without the shift kit and my temps were through the roof. Took it back a week later for the shift kit and B&M trans cooler. Was ALOT more fun after that (two washers is all you need)
Old 04-22-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have the same thing goin in very soon. i have a 19k B&M cooler. i am pretty sure that it is enough, but the 22K and 24K are even better or the price! also if you can get your hands on a fan switch this will help keep the temps down, or have the fans set to come on earlier. u haveta keep the trans around 160-185 degrees. any hotter and that trans is going to be cookin!

J
Old 04-22-2004, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

So for the trans cooler is it ok to do a over kill and go with a 24,000 instead of a 19,000? And for the shift kit go with transgo? yeah I already have a fan switch so that is a good thing
Old 04-22-2004, 11:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bigger the better with the cooler. As for the shift kit, the car will feel a bit sloppy in the shifts. I just did mine today actually. I wouldnt recomend the shift kit though. Yes it will make your shifts firmer, but you will be pushing your trans even closer to the limit. Talk to some trans experts in your area, and search these boards. Many people will tell you not to do it. That is why I didn't, I myself am no expert on transmisions (or anything actually now that i think about it). I've heard a story of a converter being installed with a shift kit and 7k miles later the trans went.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
The bigger the better with the cooler. As for the shift kit, the car will feel a bit sloppy in the shifts. I just did mine today actually. I wouldnt recomend the shift kit though. Yes it will make your shifts firmer, but you will be pushing your trans even closer to the limit. Talk to some trans experts in your area, and search these boards. Many people will tell you not to do it. That is why I didn't, I myself am no expert on transmisions (or anything actually now that i think about it). I've heard a story of a converter being installed with a shift kit and 7k miles later the trans went.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

i ran my VIG3200 and trans go shift kit for 20K miles without a single problem. Having an aftermarket converter is awesome, it will really wake up the car but you will "want" a shift kit and you will need your TM removed. If installed correctly a transgo shift kit set with two washers wont hurt your trans

Ditto on what everyone else said on the trans cooler