General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP! LT1 Running Rich Clogged/Contaminated Fuel lines?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! LT1 Running Rich Clogged/Contaminated Fuel lines?

Really don't know what to do at this point. Its a 96 Lt1 and it was running on 87 octane with the previous owner. 91 was put in there and chevron fuel treatment was used followed by Seafoam. The car seemed to have gotten worse with performance and runs like crap. Pulled and replaced the plugs to find out that all plugs are a bit oily and smell like gas.. And when I pulled the fuel line off of these sensors, I found A LOT of small black particles that are like coal coming out of this specific line...

Question 1 what are these particles? And which side of the line can it be coming from? (Gas tank side or intake)
Question 2 What would make it run so rich and lose so much power??
Question 3 what are these sensors???
Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

Where did you seafoam? The intake, fuel tank, or crankcase? Did you change the fuel filter also? Anytime I seafoam the tank, I change the filter. It breaks loose all the varnish and crud in the tank.

If I'm not mistaken that is the fuel evap solenoid. Been a while since I looked under an LT1 hood. It burns off the fuel vapors from the tank.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chino is exactly right. Those lines take the fuel tank fumes/vapors, and put them back into the intake to be burnt. The black gunk is more than likely oil from the PCV system.

As far as losing power, I would start with a fuel filter. It's cheap insurance, and something that should be changed on a regular basis anyways.

Have you done a full tune up? From the sounds of your post, you just recently got the car.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chino_man279
Where did you seafoam? The intake, fuel tank, or crankcase? Did you change the fuel filter also? Anytime I seafoam the tank, I change the filter. It breaks loose all the varnish and crud in the tank.

If I'm not mistaken that is the fuel evap solenoid. Been a while since I looked under an LT1 hood. It burns off the fuel vapors from the tank.
I Seafoamed the gas tank only, I was going to Seafoam the intake and the engine but didn't want to risk driving it due to it running soo rich. I mean u can literally smell how rich it is while driving behind me..
I changed the fuel filter prior to the Seafoam, so maybe I messed the new one up?

Also the black particles aren't gunky, they're like very small fragments of coal that look like charcoal when u smash it in between your fingers
Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
Chino is exactly right. Those lines take the fuel tank fumes/vapors, and put them back into the intake to be burnt. The black gunk is more than likely oil from the PCV system.

As far as losing power, I would start with a fuel filter. It's cheap insurance, and something that should be changed on a regular basis anyways.

Have you done a full tune up? From the sounds of your post, you just recently got the car.
Its actually a friends who just picked it up. The most we've done so far is changing raidiator fluid, tranny fluid and spark plugs and wires (which look very oily and smell like unburnt fuel btw) And when I say losing power, I mean it feels like I'm driving a 1991 civic wagon..

I also checked the pcv system, and its clear. I'm pretty sure its coming from the fuel line that leads to the EVAP canister, but how do I stop it from corrupting the engine?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The particles of "COAL" are actually particles of CHARCOL from the EVAP canister that has now failed from the chemicals you bombed it with. Replace the canister...it is now junk.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 04-17-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
The particles of "COAL" are actually particles of CHARCOL from the EVAP canister that has now failed from the chemicals you bombed it with. Replace the canister...it is now junk.
I figured so. I appreciate the reply. Hopefully this fixes the problem

Quick Reply: HELP! LT1 Running Rich Clogged/Contaminated Fuel lines?