Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt my pro yank 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuilt my pro yank 4L60E

My 3-4 clutch pack burned up in my pro yank 4L60E a few weeks back after only a few thousand miles of use on the transmission, so I rebuilt it myself. I removed the transmission and made a few discoveries. Upon removal of the 3-4 pack, I noticed something odd. It looked to be assembled out of order. Right in the middle of the clutch pack there were two frictions right next to each other and two steels right next to each other. The frictions were all nuked badly except for the two that were lined up next to each other because they couldn't slip on anything. I called yank to ask what he thought but couldn't get a hold of him. Everything else in the transmission was in perfect condition.

I ordered a new red eagle 3-4 clutch pack from kds. It's one of the 9 friction 3-4 clutch packs. The 3-4 clutch I bought pack uses 9 frictions that look about the same thickness as normal and thinner steels so more clutches will fit. I set my 3-4 clutch pack clearance to .040".

I got the transmission back in the car and my buddy filled her up. It shifts great. The 2-3 shift is WAY more firm now than it was with the stock transmission or the yank transmission before it broke. It completes the 2-3 shift about ten times as fast as it used to.

Only had one minor problem with the whole job.

We drove the car around for a while testing out the new parts. After about 15-20 miles the torque converter stopped locking up. I've had some lockup problems before due to misfires, but I took care of them all with LS1 edit. I haven't seen it have a lockup problems in a long time. After I got done swearing at the car for always giving me trouble , I checked the transmission fluid and found out that we had somehow managed to fill it way over full by a couple inches. We pulled the pan, checked the TCC lockup solenoid to be sure, and filled up to the correct level. Problem cured. Must've been too much fluid in there causing it to be unable to lock up. This is not the first time I've seen cars act strange from having too much ATF in them.

Anyway, we got her all fixed up. Lets hope it stays together for a while this time.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sweet...
Old 04-23-2004, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Overfilling A4

Overfilling the transmission will cause the formation of air bubbles in the fluid which lessens the amount of fuid/surface area and/or true volume of the fluid between the clutch discs.

A quick and sure way to ruin a transmission in a hurry.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Due you need to flush all the fluid out after getting air into it or will it be ok then after it cools down? Mine did that and after draining some fluid the tranny died 200 miles later. Just wondering if that played a part in the death.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jorday
My 3-4 clutch pack burned up in my pro yank 4L60E a few weeks back after only a few thousand miles of use on the transmission, so I rebuilt it myself. I removed the transmission and made a few discoveries. Upon removal of the 3-4 pack, I noticed something odd. It looked to be assembled out of order. Right in the middle of the clutch pack there were two frictions right next to each other and two steels right next to each other. The frictions were all nuked badly except for the two that were lined up next to each other because they couldn't slip on anything. I called yank to ask what he thought but couldn't get a hold of him. Everything else in the transmission was in perfect condition.

I ordered a new red eagle 3-4 clutch pack from kds. It's one of the 9 friction 3-4 clutch packs. The 3-4 clutch I bought pack uses 9 frictions that look about the same thickness as normal and thinner steels so more clutches will fit. I set my 3-4 clutch pack clearance to .040".

I got the transmission back in the car and my buddy filled her up. It shifts great. The 2-3 shift is WAY more firm now than it was with the stock transmission or the yank transmission before it broke. It completes the 2-3 shift about ten times as fast as it used to.

Only had one minor problem with the whole job.

We drove the car around for a while testing out the new parts. After about 15-20 miles the torque converter stopped locking up. I've had some lockup problems before due to misfires, but I took care of them all with LS1 edit. I haven't seen it have a lockup problems in a long time. After I got done swearing at the car for always giving me trouble , I checked the transmission fluid and found out that we had somehow managed to fill it way over full by a couple inches. We pulled the pan, checked the TCC lockup solenoid to be sure, and filled up to the correct level. Problem cured. Must've been too much fluid in there causing it to be unable to lock up. This is not the first time I've seen cars act strange from having too much ATF in them.

Anyway, we got her all fixed up. Lets hope it stays together for a while this time.
3-4 clearance according to service manual should be .060 to .080 -- .040 is a little tight, I'd be interested to see how it works out for you in the future.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Yah, I saw that my service manual. The reason I set it tighter is because the instruction that came with the red eagle clutch pack I bought said to use a clearance of .025-.040"
Old 04-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Restricted User

Depending on what 2nd gear apply servo is used, and how much clearance it has, the size of the 3rd gear feed hole & the 2nd gear release hole in the valve body seperator plate will determine what the 3-4 clutch clearance should be.