General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My `99 TA is on it's "second life"

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Default My `99 TA is on it's "second life"

I have to say that I'm liking my car even more now than I did when I bought it 12 years ago with only 54K on the clock.

She starting feeling really old in the way that it handled ....etc ... about 3 years ago. The last 2 years I've replaced the transmission with an RPM with Vigilante 2500 with Frost tune. The suspension has new Stranos with Bilsteins, new rack, tie rods, rear control arms, double adjustable panhard bar as well as poly stabilizer link kits. Last weekend I pressed in new control arm bushings and installed new ball joints. That was by far the most satisfying repair I've ever made on a car.... mainly due to the tremendous improvement in the feel of it driving in the city/highway ... wherever.

IMO it's probably better than it was when it was new - if you ask me. It still looks great and the interior is still great .... and it's got 249,000 miles on it.

Who else has given their TA a "second life?"
Old 04-19-2013, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did just the bushings make that big of a difference or the total new suspension as a whole?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my car out for the summer and felt the exact same way. BUT my mods are all power mods; I want to do suspension this year and I think it will be time for new paint next year.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

How's the LS1 running with that many miles?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to bring some life to a 99 TA M6 I taded for over the winter. 160K on the clock. So far I installed some new parts and cleaned a little. I still have some work to do just to get it on the road again but I think she will turn heads when I am done.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:15 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

My DD A4 Formula at 118k has me asking some questions ... I'm not concerned so much about a second life as I am about a mid-life crisis ... possible A/C compressor going out, leaks, tie rods, rack, etc. ...

I'm wondering if it would be better to sell now while everything is still in good working order and start over again with a nice low mileage example ... been looking a little.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
I have to say that I'm liking my car even more now than I did when I bought it 12 years ago with only 54K on the clock.
Wow, your '99 already had 54k on it in 2001? Someone must've had a pretty serious commute for those first two years.

Originally Posted by RevGTO
My DD A4 Formula at 118k has me asking some questions ... I'm not concerned so much about a second life as I am about a mid-life crisis ... possible A/C compressor going out, leaks, tie rods, rack, etc. ...

I'm wondering if it would be better to sell now while everything is still in good working order and start over again with a nice low mileage example ... been looking a little.
I've been thinking the same thing about my 105k mile '02 for the last year or so. I've repaired the couple of issues that have popped up so far, but I've got an eye open for any deals that stand out on the low mileage cars.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Fix it all and you will still have money left over instead of getting a new low mileage one.

Currently freshening up the motor (new lifters) has 89K miles and it's a 2000. Then going to freshen up the rear (new bearings and gear ratio) then I'm going to focus on the paint.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coppertone
Did just the bushings make that big of a difference or the total new suspension as a whole?
I'd have say as a whole ... as far as the suspension repairs go.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch
How's the LS1 running with that many miles?
It's still running great and strong. I've taken it pretty easy on the LS1 over the years. It's got the typical piston slap first crank of the day and it uses a quart of oil every 4,000 miles - so no complaints here. I'm thinking if it goes to 300K, I'll get into it and rebuild it and cam it up while there.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Fix it all and you will still have money left over instead of getting a new low mileage one.
Yes, but it's a hassle to be working on your DD all the time or have it in the shop. Since 100k I've done a water pump and fuel pump, now my oil pressure sensor is leaking, which requires removing the intake. I really don't like having to wrench on my DD; I have my old school cars for doing that when I want to.

The downside to starting over again with a low mileage car is redoing the mods I can't live without - converter, shift kit, tranny cooler, LT's. All this would be transplanted from the old car, but once again, a lot of work. I guess it's a case of pick my poison - it just gets tougher when you get old and lazy
Old 04-21-2013, 08:05 AM

I have a 01 trans am ws6 with a bad piston,can you change a piston with motor in car.Thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My T/A had around 160,000miles on the stock LS1 with 0 issues what so ever, until I decided to make it into a project. Now that LS1 is gone and it will get a new life.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have some suspension squeaks that I am wanting to get rid of. I think a tubular k with a-arms upper and lower will fix that in the front. The back has a bad squeak too. Probably bushings and what not need to be replaced.

Originally Posted by bradleyrent
I have a 01 trans am ws6 with a bad piston,can you change a piston with motor in car.Thanks
You are going to be better off just unbolting the transmission and pulling the motor.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mileage doesn't seem to effect LS cars much as long as they're maintained and abuse is kept down. Heck I've seen a Procharged 200k mile stock longblock cranking out 568whp.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Banned

Mileage is only a number as long as it has and currently is taken care of. It's like your age, take care of yourself and then it's only a number.

I had an 85 IROC with 155+ and it ran like a champ.....must have been the woman that owned it before me.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a bunch of new bushings and stuff for my 99, can't wait to get it all installed for this reason. It is really worn out and the suspension totally sucks right now. Only has 102k on it but between being drag raced by the previous owner and then just age taking its toll on the rubber it is just not the best riding car right now

Yes, but it's a hassle to be working on your DD all the time or have it in the shop. Since 100k I've done a water pump and fuel pump, now my oil pressure sensor is leaking, which requires removing the intake. I really don't like having to wrench on my DD; I have my old school cars for doing that when I want to.

The downside to starting over again with a low mileage car is redoing the mods I can't live without - converter, shift kit, tranny cooler, LT's. All this would be transplanted from the old car, but once again, a lot of work. I guess it's a case of pick my poison - it just gets tougher when you get old and lazy
The other issue is just going to be age. Yeah miles may be lower so some things won't be worn, but stuff is still going to need replaced. Some things won't last as many miles because the rubber is deteriorating. Bushings, O rings, that kind of thing. I've seen it happen before.

Personally I'd stick with the current 100k car because at least you know what's what on it. Sure, the other car may have only 50k but how has it been treated for that 50k? Plus as you mentioned you've got a bunch of stuff you'd have to do to the other anyway.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
The other issue is just going to be age. Yeah miles may be lower so some things won't be worn, but stuff is still going to need replaced. Some things won't last as many miles because the rubber is deteriorating. Bushings, O rings, that kind of thing. I've seen it happen before.
People always talk about these sorts of issues with low mileage, older cars. Stuff like leaks, issues with seals/rubber/bushings/etc. In my experience, the opposite has been true. My higher mileage car (which is actually newer, age-wise) has a small oil leak, more suspension related creaks, more rubber/plastic part deterioration, etc. The low mileage car still drives and acts much more like a fresh, new car and leaves no drips of oil on the ground. Both have been maintained very well since new, but the higher mileage car is more worn simply because it has been used more.

The only time that a low mileage garage queen is going to be more problematic than an average/higher mileage car of similar age is if it's been sitting forever without semi-regular usage and occasional fluid changes. It's true that many garage queens are neglected and stored improperly, and I think that's why this thought process has perpetuated. But if the low mileage car has been properly cared for it's whole life, then it's a good bet that it will have fewer issues in the short term as compared to a much higher mileage example (that still has all or most of its original parts) that has received similar (proper) care.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, all else being equal the lower mileage one would be better. But as with any used item or vehicle there is that potentially big unknown on how the car was cared for.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:25 PM
Pontiacerator

I look toward cars that have been meticulously maintained, garaged (of course) and driven 1000-3000 miles a year.

Then I look at the total amount of stuff I've done to this car over the years - and it's only mildly modded by anybody's standard - and it's daunting to think of doing it all over again. Little stuff like removing the protective strip and the raised lettering and replacing them with decals, fixing the door panels before they seriously cracked, airflow straightener in the MAF, the ported TB, my homemade CAI set-up, window and headlight motors ... and then the bigger stuff that I mentioned in my previous post - not to mention the hours spend tuning on it.

Quick Reply: My `99 TA is on it's "second life"