Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin turbo, do I need to run flex pipes on my downpipes(full exhuast)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Twin turbo, do I need to run flex pipes on my downpipes(full exhuast)

I have the turbo's in the front behind the headlights mounted to the body and I was wondering if I need to run any type of flex joints in the exhaust. I will will have 2 stainless downpipes from each turbo with vbands going to a x-pipe in the middle of the car then out to the bumper. I do have rubber hangers holding up the exhaust.

thanks.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally would do it to prevent cracking some pipes.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 years without them on my car and never cracked. The rubber will let them expand/contract.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 AM
9 Second Club

Wait a second. You mounted the turbos to the body? Are you running solid motor mounts? Are the turbos mounted to the body with some sort of rubber isolation?

I know you said the exhaust is rubber isolated but if the turbos are not I can't imagine it would last that long without cracking something. Different story with solid motor mounts but I imagine you're not running that.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:51 AM
9 Second Club

Show us a picture..something like this:
Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chasgiv3
Wait a second. You mounted the turbos to the body? Are you running solid motor mounts? Are the turbos mounted to the body with some sort of rubber isolation?

I know you said the exhaust is rubber isolated but if the turbos are not I can't imagine it would last that long without cracking something. Different story with solid motor mounts but I imagine you're not running that.
The engine does have solid mounts, and a rubber mount on the transmission. The turbo's are hard mounted to the body. I will also be running a slip joint bellows between the headers and the turbo's as well.

This is a picture of how far I am with my car

This picture below is not my car, but it the exact same setup that I am doing.
Attached Thumbnails Twin turbo, do I need to run flex pipes on my downpipes(full exhuast)-002.jpg  
Old 04-21-2013, 11:22 AM
9 Second Club

With solid motor mounts there shouldn't be the torqueing over of the motor like a normal mounted motor. My guess would be that you'll not have any issues at all. There may be the possibility of some bad harmonics further down the exhaust but if that's rubber mounted then I really don't see an issue. Looks like you're in good shape.

Looks good so far keep us posted on progress.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine doesn't have flex pipes and mine is a daily driver. I've been driving it for 2 years now with this twin turbo setup. My exhaust runs all the way to the back through borla mufflers.

Quick Reply: Twin turbo, do I need to run flex pipes on my downpipes(full exhuast)