Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

cxracing turbo kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cxracing turbo kit ?

I was looking at this kit on ebay since it keeps AC, just requires relocating Alternator. Appears to be pretty good build quality. I was trying to tell if a pump would be needed on the return or not. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

there are a couple of build threads on the kits but almost everyone will tell you not to get it. it takes a good amount of work to get it to fit off the top of my head the header bolt holes have to be egged out to fit, the down pipe dosent really fit and if you did end up going with it you should really have a turbo brace because the pipes will crack. it can be made to work but you will have more into it then 500 by the time your done.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Teching In

iirc the main issue with the cx racing kit was ground clearance. Cx-racing does the crossover right under the transmission bell housing. so look at your trans, and pretend youve got ~3" less ground clearance.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

they also use chinese metal. and the material is to thin it most definitly crack. dont waste your money buy some quality stuff. or build your own.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by simplysix
I was looking at this kit on ebay since it keeps AC, just requires relocating Alternator. Appears to be pretty good build quality. I was trying to tell if a pump would be needed on the return or not. Anyone have experience with this?
I'm pretty sure you won't need one. I've read through all of these build threads and i don't think anyone uses one. I had an STS and went to CX racing hotside. I'm still in the process of putting mine together, but overall fitment from mine wasn't bad at all. I did have to have the passenger side o2 sensor moved, and i did have to drill out one bolt hole on the header for the drives side. I have the hotside all bolted up and wrapped up with no issues, but like i said i'm still in the process of putting it together, i have yet to drive the car.

But read through these build threads, they have some good info. Other things that will require your attention if/when you decide to get this kit
-Motor Mounts, you'll need to run solid mount as the hotside will melt the factory mounts
-Power steering lines, they get awefullly close as well.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-ebay-kit.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-wana-see.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rbo-kit-2.html

Last edited by GMouldy; 04-23-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 11-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Teching In

has anyone read the budget turbo build that gm high tech performance did with an ls engine? that's where I first heard of this company. it looks like they had some good results with it. they also offer a kit that requires the ac to be removed and would avoid ground clearance issues. I believe they suggested to get a better waste gate and blow off valve. as far as the metal quality and cracking issues only time will tell. someone is goin to have to try one sooner or later. I might.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Looks like there is a new version of their kit. It mounts the turbo low in front. Looks better than the under bellhousing version. Anyone use it yet?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:52 PM

Do not buy that kit! I bought that kit a few weeks ago and it has major fitment issues. I asked the company to just fix my kit, and they told me it was not cost effective. The problem with the kit is the v band flange does not line up. So when you tighten the v bands it puts stress on the kit. Here are some pics.

Last edited by 1347deluxe; 11-15-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sweeeeet !!!!!!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thor'svr4
iirc the main issue with the cx racing kit was ground clearance. Cx-racing does the crossover right under the transmission bell housing. so look at your trans, and pretend youve got ~3" less ground clearance.
I don't agree with you on the clearance issue. It actually tucks up very close behind the back of the trans pan and doesn't hang any lower than the Y-pipe. Unless you are planning on lowering the car and slamming it close to the ground you will not have any issues with clearance.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1347deluxe
Do not buy that kit! I bought that kit a few weeks ago and it has major fitment issues. I asked the company to just fix my kit, and they told me it was not cost effective. The problem with the kit is the v band flange does not line up. So when you tighten the v bands it puts stress on the kit. Here are some pics.
Where are the pics? Awesome first post.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I also went with the Cxracing kit. What sets themselves apart from other Ebay vendors is that they actually have a customer service line/tech support that I've found very helpful plus they test there parts on there own cars. Called them a few weeks back and the tech went above and beyond to help me. The LS kit has since been improved since that Gmhtp article.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

We are talking about the new style kit right? Not the ebay kist they have try to sell for several years.

Because it looks a whole lot cleaner, simpler and less snakey with it's design.

It brings both custom headers down and forward and mounts the turbo in front of the waterpump/crank pulley area.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aknovaman
We are talking about the new style kit right? Not the ebay kist they have try to sell for several years.

Because it looks a whole lot cleaner, simpler and less snakey with it's design.

It brings both custom headers down and forward and mounts the turbo in front of the waterpump/crank pulley area.
The new front-mount kit is nice as far as the cold-side is concerned. Can't speak of the hot-side, as I am fabricating my own.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Do you think this kit can gravatiy feed the turbo drain or would it need a oil pump?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1347deluxe
I would really like to see some pictures of your kit. The only thing i had to do to mine was drill out the drives side header mounting bolt (No big deal, took a few minutes to do) and have the passenger side O2 sensor moved (Also, not a big deal, took a few minutes to weld cap on the old side and install a new one, took about am hour and cost me 30 bucks.)
Those are the only problems i have ran into while installing this hotside. The V-bands all come together nice and tight, just like its supposed to. granted i left everything lose when i installed it and tighted up things as i went, but i have no issues with nothing bolting up together.

Originally Posted by 831jd
Do you think this kit can gravatiy feed the turbo drain or would it need a oil pump?
from what the other guys have said, they have no had any issue and let gravatiy do the work.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GMouldy
I would really like to see some pictures of your kit. The only thing i had to do to mine was drill out the drives side header mounting bolt (No big deal, took a few minutes to do) and have the passenger side O2 sensor moved (Also, not a big deal, took a few minutes to weld cap on the old side and install a new one, took about am hour and cost me 30 bucks.)
Those are the only problems i have ran into while installing this hotside. The V-bands all come together nice and tight, just like its supposed to. granted i left everything lose when i installed it and tighted up things as i went, but i have no issues with nothing bolting up together.

from what the other guys have said, they have no had any issue and let gravatiy do the work.
Is this with the new kit or the old?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 831jd
Is this with the new kit or the old?
the old kit that retains the AC
Old 12-12-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was searching and found this. was just posted last month.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Teching In

But that kit don't have the A/C on it!!!

Quick Reply: cxracing turbo kit ?