Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Egine not making ANY power

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Egine not making ANY power

OK so here is the story, I originally bought a set of PP stage 2 ls6 heads and put them on my ls6 blocked corvette with the g5x2 cam. Car dynoed at only 427 rwhp 388 rwtq. After 1000 miles the head gaskets blew. The heads were checked out by Jay at absolute speed, who said they only flowed 270 cfm, told me the heads were warped, and that the seats were sinking. So anyway then he told me to put his stage 2 5.3L heads on that flow 310. Which I did and as soon as I started driving the car I noticed a noticable drop of power. SO much so that i cant even spin the tires by matting the gas at 3000 rpm in first gear! So now i have to figure out where the problem is. I was told at first it was just the tuning that caused the car to be down on power. All that was changed were the heads, the vararam intake, ls6 pcv, new plugs and wires. Now after bringing the car to get tuned I realized that there is something not right with the motor.

Where should I look?

The vararam couldn't be causing it. nor the plugs or wires. So the only variable to look at would be the heads, right?

I am going to start with a compression test, but if the clynders were bad I figure I would be burning oil, which I am not?

What else should I look at? I am already into this H&C job for 2 sets of heads gaskets, bolts, fluids, labor, tuning etc. I would really like to get though it without having to pull the heads again!

PS i know the cam is in correctly, so its not possible its off
Old 04-23-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do a leakdown test, not just a compression test. Then post the results if you can. First place to start. Sorry you're having trouble.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright dude its NOT the heads. do a search and compare any of AS heads to Patriots. AS heads make more power. You either messed up the install or hurt your motor with the patriot heads. Dont go blaming the heads. It could be the tune too. it was tuned by TTP right? Have them retune it. You dyno'ed the car and the air/fuel was what 15 to 1? Obvioulsy the tune is messed up. The Patriot heads you had were leaking oil and had sinking valve seats. So the tune would defintally be off. GO RETUNE the car. Check your plugs maybe TTP removed your miss fire codes so you wouldnt even know if you have a bad coil or plug. I saw those heads flowed on the bench and so did Matt from TTP they only flowed 270 cfm. Jays heads flowed over 30cfm higher then them on his bench on the same day and all. So the tune could need alot of work.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Were the pistons flycut? Piston to Valve clearance checked?

Were the AS heads milled?

Are you certain about the valvetrain geometry (pushrod length, rocker arm adjustment)?

I would do *both* a compression check, and a leakdown check. Low compression could indicate valvetrain geometry issues. Leakdown could indicate a bent valve due to kissing a piston if not flycut.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

update: replaced the plugs today and did a compression test. All clynders were either 165 or 175. I am going to let jay check out the car and see if he can find the missing piece to the puzzle. I hope its just the tune. Mike we can't go off of that A/f reading as being accurate. The next pull after adding fuel read a diagonal line from 8:1-18:1. I'll be out on Long island tomorrow maybe i'll try and set something up for early next week to bring the car over
Old 04-24-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

let us know what the problem is

i'm curious
Old 04-24-2004, 08:48 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

U need to do a LEAKDOWN.
COMP test is useless unless it showed a big difference.

Last edited by JS; 04-24-2004 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike m
alright dude its NOT the heads. do a search and compare any of AS heads to Patriots. AS heads make more power. You either messed up the install or hurt your motor with the patriot heads. Dont go blaming the heads. It could be the tune too. it was tuned by TTP right? Have them retune it. You dyno'ed the car and the air/fuel was what 15 to 1? Obvioulsy the tune is messed up. The Patriot heads you had were leaking oil and had sinking valve seats. So the tune would defintally be off. GO RETUNE the car. Check your plugs maybe TTP removed your miss fire codes so you wouldnt even know if you have a bad coil or plug. I saw those heads flowed on the bench and so did Matt from TTP they only flowed 270 cfm. Jays heads flowed over 30cfm higher then them on his bench on the same day and all. So the tune could need alot of work.
FWIW,this is the 2nd car that replaced our heads with AS and lost or made the same power.

Last edited by TVWilkes; 04-24-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mike m
Why would you not send the heads back to PP if there was a problem? I would definitely verify with the vendor you bought the heads from before throwing money on another set of heads.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

you are so full of **** Terry your eyes must be brown. These heads Rob took off his car were leaking oil and had sinking valve seats and were warped. These are the heads we marked with 1's. They were sent back to PP Chris. They only flowed 270cfm. The new AS heads flow over 300 cfm. So there is no way in hell it is the heads. It is in the tune or the install or the motor is hurt from the PP. Jay is going to personally look at the car and have it tuned to fix it for Rob.

Dont miss the obvious people the car had a set of Patriot Heads on it that were warped and had sinking valve seats leaking oil. Then Robs only change was to swap heads himself. Nothing was retuned or checked out to see if the motor is hurt.

edit: I edited out the second/thirdhand information but left the rest. thanks for pointing out the heads did go back to the vendor. Chris

Last edited by Chris ARE 360; 04-24-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Terry HPA in Illinois how did you loose that account. AS heads made 18 rwhl hp and 25 ftlbs of tq over your heads with a 220 cam.
Sean M from Maryland knocked off a 1/2 a second switching to AS heads over PP heads.
Name your 2 Terry. I named 2
Old 04-24-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

"edit: I edited out the second/thirdhand information but left the rest. thanks for pointing out the heads did go back to the vendor. Chris"

Now its not 2nd hand info.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on the leakdown numbers he posted,the motor is not hurt.Who is PP Chris?I have yet to see a set of warped,sinking seats heads.It would be interesting to see what the car would do with another set of the Patriots.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:12 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Comp test is a joke.
Do a leakdown.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Terry Rob sent you the heads back around febuary and you sent him another set. Which he sold to buy AS heads
and there is no PP chris reread the post.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

guys play nice please or take it to PM's/Email.

I have to go for a few hours but I dont want to come back and see this thread out of control...

thanks,

Chris
Old 04-24-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To be warped and have sinking seats, it sounds as if the heads were over heated. Either way, this is not a Patriot vs. anyone post. The guy asked why his car is down on power with the heads that are on it, which are absolutes. Help with his problem.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
To be warped and have sinking seats, it sounds as if the heads were over heated. Either way, this is not a Patriot vs. anyone post. The guy asked why his car is down on power with the heads that are on it, which are absolutes. Help with his problem.
Beast you are 100% right Terry should not have come in here running his mouth. he has yet to prove to me the 2 cars he's saying. Terry if you want PM me their names im waiting. otherwise It is B.S like usual from you. Rob is stupid for even posting this. He posted this right after Jay from AS offered him help. This post should just get deleted.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
FWIW,this is the 2nd car that replaced our heads with AS and lost or made the same power.

Maybe its something drivetrain related Rob?? Have you set the car up on jack stands and made sure the rear spins without any extra friction? There are several variables that can come into play when dynoing. Hope you get it straightended out, I hate to see people throw money at their car and not get the results they hope for. Good luck, and keep us updated.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:45 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....Either way, this is not a Patriot vs. anyone post. The guy asked why his car is down on power with the heads that are on it, which are absolutes. Help with his problem.
I agree ... You both sound silly arguing with each other instead of attempting to help the guy who posted. You guys should be the ones who are able to help him out with his problem, so lets try and do that instead of bickering.