Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Aw shucks, shifter shaft shuffle?

Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aw shucks, shifter shaft shuffle?

I was changing the **** on my short throw shifter & I don't recall if there is/was an orientation to the actual shaft or not . . . but . . . as I THOUGHT I was tightening the jam nut, in reality, it was rotating the shaft. I didn't notice this until after about 3-4 turns. Once I actually got it all the way remounted, I noticed during my drive that my **** had rotated. I can easily turn the shaft by just turning the **** now.

Did I just **** something up? It seems to shift ok.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Once the lower bolt is secured you shouldn't be able to twist the lever. There is no front or back to the lever it can be installed facing either way but it shouldn't twist after the lower bolt secures it.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by garrettg
Once the lower bolt is secured you shouldn't be able to twist the lever. There is no front or back to the lever it can be installed facing either way but it shouldn't twist after the lower bolt secures it.
So something might be lose underneath? I haven't fiddled with it since putting in the shifter over a year ago. Just my **** was cracking & got the replacement, trying to mount the new one had the whole shaft rotating. Mind you, the only thing I did to change the **** is lift the bezel, I don't have a stock ****.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gotta be just the **** rotating on you.. unless its some 2 piece shifter
Old 04-22-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn't the stock one two piece with some vibration isolation in there. Maybe it's detached and spinning. If you pull up on the **** does it start to come a part? I'm not positive but I'd imagine if the stock shaft rotates it would probably separate too? I only looked at it briefly though. Hopefully someone actually knows.

What **** btw?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cadzilla
gotta be just the **** rotating on you.. unless its some 2 piece shifter
I watched the shaft rotate. I put some vice grips on & was trying to spin the jam nut & shaft/vice were moving. I left the vice grips on & spun the jam nut, while watching the top of the threaded rod around the jam nut.

Originally Posted by isis
Isn't the stock one two piece with some vibration isolation in there. Maybe it's detached and spinning. If you pull up on the **** does it start to come a part? I'm not positive but I'd imagine if the stock shaft rotates it would probably separate too? I only looked at it briefly though. Hopefully someone actually knows.

What **** btw?
That does remind me that the vibration isolation could come apart. I wasn't pulling up, but now I'm afraid if I do, it'll come up!

The **** is this custom one from ebay sickspeed seller. I've got a black one, but I love the contrast of the white one:

Old 04-22-2013, 05:46 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What shifter do you have? The rubber isolator on the stock one is melted to the upper and lower parts of the shaft. Some aftermarket shifter have two small screws holding the two pieces together with a thin piece of rubber between them. You may have had them come loose or broke them.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
What shifter do you have? The rubber isolator on the stock one is melted to the upper and lower parts of the shaft. Some aftermarket shifter have two small screws holding the two pieces together with a thin piece of rubber between them. You may have had them come loose or broke them.
Right. I have a modified stock shifter & I believe the isolator separated to keep it from spinning.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:31 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want to send it to me I'll fix it for the cost of shipping.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
If you want to send it to me I'll fix it for the cost of shipping.
Thanks, I think I'm going to stand pat for a moment & see what's going to happen. I can't be without my car for too long. I have my stock unmodified shifter still though, problem with that is Azn2dmax modified my short one with a threaded top for my custom ****.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aw shucks, shifter shaft shuffle?