Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

HELP: Lowering 98-02 F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Lowering 98-02 F-Body

So I searched around a little but couldn't find anything. I have bought some Eibach pro kit lowering springs for my 2001 SS Camaro and am about to get started on this project. I pulled the car in the shop and started looking around at what all this was going to take. I have a few questions for those of you who have done this:

1. It looks like the brake master cylinder is in the way of getting one of the strut bolts loose and out. What did you guys do to get around this? Take master cylinder loose/out?

2. From looking at and talking to a buddy, it looks like I have to take the front sway bar loose and knock the sprindle loose from the ball joint to get the struts out. Is that correct?

3. To get the rear springs out, do I just need to take the rear shocks loose and drop the rearend down or is there more to it than just that?

4. Are there any other roadblocks/hurdles that I need to know about before starting this project?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice!

-Ben

Last edited by HotRodder1987; 04-24-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ls1howto is your friend. good luck!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres the link http://www.ls1howto.com/?article=6

1. you dont have to remove it, but it helps. You should just be able to loosen it out the way.

2. yes

3. IIRC yes. The rear is really simple but its been around 3 years since i replaced rear shocks.

4. as mentioned in the link, keep something to hold the brake calipers, so they dont hang by the brake lines. Now would also be a good time to replace worn out bushings and mounts. Theres a few threads here where they even show the part numbers for most of this.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
ls1howto is your friend. good luck!
Originally Posted by Zlow28
Heres the link http://www.ls1howto.com/?article=6

1. you dont have to remove it, but it helps. You should just be able to loosen it out the way.

2. yes

3. IIRC yes. The rear is really simple but its been around 3 years since i replaced rear shocks.

4. as mentioned in the link, keep something to hold the brake calipers, so they dont hang by the brake lines. Now would also be a good time to replace worn out bushings and mounts. Theres a few threads here where they even show the part numbers for most of this.
Awesome thank you guys I will check that out! The car only has 35k miles and has been garaged so hopefully I won't have to replace anything. I'm gonna lower it, cruise it around a bit, and sell it towards the end of the summer if any of you guys know anybody who might be interested! Thanks again,

Ben
Old 04-25-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where you at in Mid TN? There's a forum for middle TN F body owners.

tnfbody.com

you could probably sell it on there pretty quick too.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 85CamaroZ28
Where you at in Mid TN? There's a forum for middle TN F body owners.

tnfbody.com

you could probably sell it on there pretty quick too.
I'm from Murfreesboro I will have to check into that thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear springs, just jack up the car and let the rear hang, use some muscle and you can do it without shocks, but they aren't hard to remove.

otherwise just do what you need for everything. its all pretty straight forward when you go to do it

Quick Reply: HELP: Lowering 98-02 F-Body