Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

1999 SS w/ monsoon system

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1999 SS w/ monsoon system

Ok here goes.... not a stereo guru but install is pretty basic... until I did this car, lol. What I wanted to know was if what I did was correct or will work without bcausing any problems?

I have a 99 SS with Monsoon. I put in an Alpine deck, 4 speakers and a sub in the driver side well opening. While I was wiring it (factory wires) I disconnected the 4" speakers totally in the hatch. The rear speakers I noticed were subs. So what I did was put aftermarkes in the rear, spliced from the hatch speakers and ran wire long enough to reach the rar seat speakers. Will this cause any problems etc? I did not want to bastardize the factory wires. Left the Monsoon amp in back. Is this still running to the speakers I installed or ??. Will any problems arise because of my mod. I just trial and errored the front speakers with the 4 wires. 4 hooked up together had a shitty sound when turned up (cracking noise), 2 hooked up only gave me the tweeters and the other 2 seemed to give me the full range. Not sure if this is being explained the best, but I think you can get the jist of what I did? My main question again is.... did I do this ok, will the factory Amp cause problems, blow speakers etc? Also when I hooked up deck with aftermarket harness there was one opening on the aftermarket that had no female end for a wire that was in the factory harness.... and also another small harness that was not able to be plugged in.... was this for the Amp or ?? Thanks for any help/info anyone can give?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Please start by reading the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section. But basically no, you didn't do anything that will cause problems although a little research beforehand would have resulted in a better sounding system with less wiring modification.

Quick Reply: 1999 SS w/ monsoon system