Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

07 won't start, what else can I try

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 won't start, what else can I try

Was having issues last fall with intermittent starting issues, would get one click but no starter engagement. Ordered a new clutch position sensor and starter. Replaced starter this week and have driven car a couple of times without issues. Took car out this morning and parked it, now it won't start, there are absolutely no noises, clicks, anything when I turn key. Called wife and she brought new clutch position switch, replaced that but still no start. Tried jumping car but without any starter engagement that didn't help. New starter had ring terminal so I got rid of crappy signal connector.

Going home to get more tools and go back, what else can I try?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Teching In

does anyone think trying to dump the clutch to start would work? My only concern is that whatever the problem is the ignition isn't working correctly and the engine won't have any spark to fire?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't dump the clutch. Check all ground connections first, starter relay, etc.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Teching In

what ground connections should I check besides the battery? How do I tell if the starter relay is bad?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Teching In

just to close the loop, I had the car towed home and took a look. Turns out the connector I used on the signal wire didn't hold up to the heat from the header. I thought I would be smart and use a waterproof heat shrink connector with solder in it. I didn't look close at the connector and it actually only had a half circle of metal and the rest was solder. So, when the exhaust pipe heated up it melted the solder which dripped out and the wire was no longer connected to the ring terminal. The good news is that I can now remove the starter and reinstall it in less than 20 minutes. Hopefully I never have to do it again though.

Quick Reply: 07 won't start, what else can I try