LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 heads on Gen 1 sbc

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 heads on Gen 1 sbc

As the title states, i would like put my Trick Flow 195cc heads on a gen 1 sbc. My lt1 block cracked and i have several Gen1 blocks laying around and just want to transplant my guts into that block along with those heads. I know that i will have to get an intake for the Lt1 or get a victor jr because i am going carb, because its only a race only setup. If any one could point me in the direction that i need to go that would be great. The heads are brand new with less that 100 miles on them. Damn the 3.875 stroke anyway.
I have had these on craigslist with no bites, so if some one could point me in the right direction or if you want these heads, make me an offer. i live near pittsburg Pa. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty sure you can't get there from here.

Water passages are different.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by samckitt
Pretty sure you can't get there from here.

Water passages are different.
I've heard of people doing it, have no proof, but it would take a lot of money to match the ports.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Question

Originally Posted by fletchman 96
As the title states, i would like put my Trick Flow 195cc heads on a gen 1 sbc. My lt1 block cracked and i have several Gen1 blocks laying around and just want to transplant my guts into that block along with those heads. I know that i will have to get an intake for the Lt1 or get a victor jr because i am going carb, because its only a race only setup. If any one could point me in the direction that i need to go that would be great. The heads are brand new with less that 100 miles on them. Damn the 3.875 stroke anyway.
I have had these on craigslist with no bites, so if some one could point me in the right direction or if you want these heads, make me an offer. i live near pittsburg Pa. Thanks for the help in advance.
Fletchman 96, can you PM or e-mail me any more info (Trick Flow part number?, combustion chamber cc's, any additional porting on these, etc.,), about these heads. Photos would be great too! Thanks.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dosnt Ed run lt1 heads on a sbc block? I could be wrong tho
Old 04-28-2013, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Given the enormous aftermarket for the SBC it would make absolutely zero economic and performance sense to put LT1 heads on a SBC block. You'd be better off selling the Trickflows and getting something SBC-specific.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Teching In

PM sent 97sixspeed z...... I agree with you completly, but i am having trouble selling these heads. I pd 1400 for them from summit racing, and i only want 1000 OBO but with no luck
Old 04-28-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Might be easier to find a ltx block. They are a dime a dozen
Old 04-28-2013, 05:55 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave357LT1
Dosnt Ed run lt1 heads on a sbc block? I could be wrong tho
I do. Two oblong holes (may not be oblong shaped in an aftermarket head) in the deck of each head need lugged. Mine have pieces of aluminum plate welded in and the heads surfaced. I have seen guys run the factory stainless steam pipe, others use -6 hoses in it's place, going to the original location in the top of the passenger side radiator tank. Fronts got drilled out to 3/8" NPT and -10 AN fittings installed. At the driver's side radiator I used a 6" piece of 1 1/2" exhaust tubing with a cap welded on one end. Then two -10 AN fittings for coolant hoses from the front of the heads. What I have gone to this last time, to force more coolant between the center cylinders, are 1/4" NPT Jeg's push button cooling system bleeders to get air out when filling it with coolant.
LT1 blocks are crap, but later model SBCs are too. Older SBC blocks are better.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
I do. Two oblong holes (may not be oblong shaped in an aftermarket head) in the deck of each head need lugged. Mine have pieces of aluminum plate welded in and the heads surfaced. I have seen guys run the factory stainless steam pipe, others use -6 hoses in it's place, going to the original location in the top of the passenger side radiator tank. Fronts got drilled out to 3/8" NPT and -10 AN fittings installed. At the driver's side radiator I used a 6" piece of 1 1/2" exhaust tubing with a cap welded on one end. Then two -10 AN fittings for coolant hoses from the front of the heads. What I have gone to this last time, to force more coolant between the center cylinders, are 1/4" NPT Jeg's push button cooling system bleeders to get air out when filling it with coolant.
LT1 blocks are crap, but later model SBCs are too. Older SBC blocks are better.
This is very interesting and would like to see or have more information on this modification.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fletchman 96
This is very interesting and would like to see or have more information on this modification.
Not difficult. Lay a regular SBC gasket on the LT1 head. One on each end, outboard of the end cylinders, aligned with the lower edge of the cylinder bores.
Weld plugs in those two holes, surface the heads, take water out the front of the heads since there is no water cross over to feed a thermostat housing & upper hose. Not a big deal.

Quick Reply: Lt1 heads on Gen 1 sbc