Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

need help with different kinds of clutch master cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with different kinds of clutch master cylinders

I'm about to buy a stock gm parts replacement clutch master cylinder but they sell two. One is the master cylinder only, the other is double the price, but comes assembled.with the steel line and the resivor, and I guess pre bled. Question is since I'm not gonna be the one installing it, do I really need to have the braided line and resivor replace too? The reason I'm replacing mine is just because the car is a 99 with 116k on it and the clutch isn't fully disengaging. The slave and the trans are new, the clutch is newer as it was looked over when I had the trans put in.

Here's the question...do I spend the extra money and get the entire clutch master, get just the MC itself for half the money, or spend the $170 for a ram adjustable master cylinder which again, doesn't include the resivor or the braided line. I still don't know why I need to replace the resivor or the braided line..
Any advice??
Old 04-28-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the stock clutch? Is it not disengaging all the time or only when shifting at high rpms?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:57 AM
On The Tree

the clutch is fine, it chatters a bit but it is an aftermarket hays clutch. the problem is its got the original MC. car does shift good, just cant shift fast. shifts at 6500 just fine as long as your shifting like your not on a meth bender
when you try to put the car in gear with the clutch disengaged the car moves. plus you can hear the clutch spinning down when you try to get the car in first. you gotta put the car in first to spin the clutch down to get into reverse.
im pretty positive its the master because literally i spent about 3 grand on everything, shifter, Tranzilla T56 viper spec, and slave clyinder. MC is the only thing on the car that is original transmission wise. i CANNOT afford a 325 dollar Tick although i WISH i could. i was looking at a Ram adjustable master cylinder or a stock GM replacement. I WISH i could take this car to the strip but I dont race the car, occasionally i drive real hard in the back roads, heel toe downshifting, with clutch throttle upshifts but other than that i dont need a adjustable master unless you guys think its worth it. like i said, should i just get the GM performance parts peice that has the new braided line and the resivor or is that not neccesary?

Last edited by DaytonaBlues; 04-29-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The ram is just a modified gm style master it won't do anything except adjust that a stocker won't do. My advice is just get the cheapest master you can for like 70 bucks. You can reuse your reservoir and your steel line maybe do the drill mod while your at it. After that save your pennies for a tick and buy it when you can. It honestly makes driving the car that much more enjoyable and you can adjust the pedal to where you like it
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ah, gotcha. I don't think you want to buy a stock master cylinder. Sounds like your stock master can't push the pressure plate fingers in far enough to fully disengage the clutch. You'll want to get an adjustable one so you can adjust it to push the throwout bearing further in than the stock master can and completely disengage the clutch all the way.

I went with Tick's because it had nothing but good reviews and I could afford it. It's been pretty hit and miss with finding people complaining about other kinds of adjustable masters. Even saw a thread where a guy replaced his aftermarket adjustable master with a Tick because it was so bad.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude, you just spent 3K on all of this stuff, have two F-Bodies and a bike but can't afford a proper Master cylinder for less than $400? Wait until your next paycheck or whatever and do it right the first time! The GM CMC will only fail again and then you'll be tearing up what you just spent all of this money on.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Dude, you just spent 3K on all of this stuff, have two F-Bodies and a bike but can't afford a proper Master cylinder for less than $400? Wait until your next paycheck or whatever and do it right the first time! The GM CMC will only fail again and then you'll be tearing up what you just spent all of this money on.
first of all, I lost a really really really good job during the 2008 crash, the 79 ive had since HIGH SCHOOL and its not even road legal, the bike has 26k miles on it and i cant exactly ride a crotch rocket with no exhaust and no lights at 4 am to work, AND all i can find for work right now is a 12/hr shithole. yes i technically have a bike and a second fbody, but they are gonna be sold soon. it is kinda my fault for trying to live where i live (gas here is $4.88 gallon and its seasonal). basically i wasnt expecting to spend my entire contents of my savings for a new transmission but i bought the BEST tranny i could afford, and now the Master cylinder is going bad after 14 years, NOT BAD its ORIGNAL. so no im not gonna spend $400 on a tick just yet..although it is dumb not too i agree. this car is daily drivin like a grandma and i need a normal Master cylinder.....for now of course..
Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Ya like I said I would buy a cheap one for not but ASAP I would get a tick
Old 04-30-2013, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Just out of curiousity what's the cheapest I can find a tick master for? I've seen anywhere from $320 to $420. Wtf?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered mine from tick for $326 shipped.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaytonaBlues
first of all, I lost a really really really good job during the 2008 crash, the 79 ive had since HIGH SCHOOL and its not even road legal, the bike has 26k miles on it and i cant exactly ride a crotch rocket with no exhaust and no lights at 4 am to work, AND all i can find for work right now is a 12/hr shithole. yes i technically have a bike and a second fbody, but they are gonna be sold soon. it is kinda my fault for trying to live where i live (gas here is $4.88 gallon and its seasonal). basically i wasnt expecting to spend my entire contents of my savings for a new transmission but i bought the BEST tranny i could afford, and now the Master cylinder is going bad after 14 years, NOT BAD its ORIGNAL. so no im not gonna spend $400 on a tick just yet..although it is dumb not too i agree. this car is daily drivin like a grandma and i need a normal Master cylinder.....for now of course..
Damn I'm sorry dude. Thanks for not being a complete dick and cussing me out or something. I do know how you feel. I had to sell my 99 Z28 Camaro and my 2001 Yamaha R1 because I lost my job as a welder. I had to buy a shitty 240sx to drive for almost 2 years. Because even though I got another job I had to take care of other priorities before I could buy another F-Body. I moved to Austin TX got back into college and then found my T/A and jumped on it. I hope things get better for you man. I'm planning to by a Tick CMC next week. If you're still looking for a factory CMC I'll send you my OE if you want it. It works but I need one that will work when driving hard!
Old 04-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

I did this mod 2 years ago and haven't had a problem yet. Pedal feels great and it is adjustable. Paid $100 for it used and another $30 for the rebuild kit.

Check it out

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-cylinder.html
Old 04-30-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaytonaBlues
Here's the question...do I spend the extra money and get the entire clutch master, get just the MC itself for half the money, or spend the $170 for a ram adjustable master cylinder which again, doesn't include the resivor or the braided line. I still don't know why I need to replace the resivor or the braided line..
Any advice??
DON'T buy the Ram master. It is a piece of crap. Spend the dough on the Tick master or get the GM-branded master. If this were going into your second gen, I've got a thread which shows how I switched to a Wilwood master. It's cheap ($85) and doable if

A. you're willing to drill into your firewall and mod things a bit.
B. you're switching to a manual brake system (no booster to get in the way)
Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO I would save up for a Tick Master- Tons and tons of satisfied customers and a great product.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Launching!

I've got the ram master. It hasn't given me any problems. Been using it for about two years. I had the same symtoms as you. The ram fixed it completely. Sure the tick master is much better but it's double the price. I shift effortlessly with a monster 4, ram master and a mgw shifter. The decisions yours

Also you can make an adjustable master really easy:
Threaded sleeve, a piece of all thread and a lock nut. One cut and two welds. This is what my ram looked like. Modified auto zone master
Old 05-04-2013, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

ok, so with all this, what is the deal with these master cylinders on our cars??? the more i read into this the bigger deal it is to make SURE you run a Tick or maybe a custom CMC. i get why because the ticks are incrediblly built but do stock CMCs suck that much?
I do NOT ever powershift the car nor do I think ill end up on a 1/4 mile, perhaps a autoX or track day in the future so only abuse i put on mine is aggresive heel toe downshifting(im still trying to teach myself on the street) the stock CMC is still in my car and i can STILL shift fast enough to bark second, third however sucks though but the stock one is 13 years old and still is ok just worn the hell out.

i guess the question is, for track days, sustained hi rpm very aggresive pedal use the fluid in the CMC is gonna get hot?? im wondering if there is any concern for overheating the stuff. the Tick im sure is great for 1/4 mile at a time but id rather have three stock GM masters with a drill mod for spares then have one Tick with the REMOTE possibility of whats happened to me already; the bushing at the end that slips over the clutch pedal pin broke. how does the Tick attach to the clutch pedal? does the tick already have the "drill mod" done? (im sure it does but ill ask anyways") lots of questions old thread i know...lol
Old 05-04-2013, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

The main thing about the stock m/c is that its very small 3/4" bore just cant push enough fluid for high demand clutches and rpm shifts thus causing a "block" out of gear state. The tick solves this by using a 7/8" bore tilton unit.

When powershifting or getting on the car the stock m/c's restriction in the line prevents the fluid from returning to the m/c quick enough thus causing a limp pedal, this combined with the fact it is very undersized for the demands of a muscle car gives you the shitty pedal feel.

The fluid should never heat up enough to cause damage to the master so I wouldnt worry there and the tick comes with a lifetime warranty. If the car is your dd perhaps keep a stock one around as a spare but the tick will always be covered and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with one that has had issues.

The tick attaches to the pedal just like a stock one does but has an adjustable rod so you will need to find a new plastic bushing. The guys at tick may also be able to help there too. The Tick also doesnt need the drill mod. It comes with a much larger 3/8" line for fluid travel and has no restriction in it.

I'll tell you this, when i first did my m6 swap I had a brand new gm master and no matter how many times I bled it, I just couldn't get it to shift into 3rd like I wanted. After that one started leaking I decided to just get a tick and it instantly solved my 3rd gear issue and I could adjust the pedal to wherever I want.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redbird555
The main thing about the stock m/c is that its very small 3/4" bore just cant push enough fluid for high demand clutches and rpm shifts thus causing a "block" out of gear state. The tick solves this by using a 7/8" bore tilton unit.

When powershifting or getting on the car the stock m/c's restriction in the line prevents the fluid from returning to the m/c quick enough thus causing a limp pedal, this combined with the fact it is very undersized for the demands of a muscle car gives you the shitty pedal feel.

The fluid should never heat up enough to cause damage to the master so I wouldnt worry there and the tick comes with a lifetime warranty. If the car is your dd perhaps keep a stock one around as a spare but the tick will always be covered and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with one that has had issues.

The tick attaches to the pedal just like a stock one does but has an adjustable rod so you will need to find a new plastic bushing. The guys at tick may also be able to help there too. The Tick also doesnt need the drill mod. It comes with a much larger 3/8" line for fluid travel and has no restriction in it.

I'll tell you this, when i first did my m6 swap I had a brand new gm master and no matter how many times I bled it, I just couldn't get it to shift into 3rd like I wanted. After that one started leaking I decided to just get a tick and it instantly solved my 3rd gear issue and I could adjust the pedal to wherever I want.
My third gear is the same way if I do a dig run. Did yours ever grind? Mine grinds sometimes, no often, but when it does it makes me cringe. Would the Tick Fix that problem? I'm ordering one Tuesday but I'm just wondering if it will fix that grind.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

to be honest once I noticed mine doing it I knew what the ssue was and never really tried to push it. But I imagine that if you did try to nail 3rd and the clutch wasnt fully disengaging you may experience a grind. the other option is your synchro is going out but if it only does it sometimes then i would say its the m/c's fault

Quick Reply: need help with different kinds of clutch master cylinders